Menu

Homeschool Spanish Academy

Guest sarahwsaunders

Hi. We used this program last semester with dd (8yo)  and thought it was ok. Here were some of our issues with the program: 1) tech problems occurring on their end (the audio wouldn't work) and we would waste 20 minutes of our half hour trying to connect- once connected, we would only get a 10 minute lesson; 2) we hated the way the lessons were structured - very, very, very formulaic. My understanding was that it would be more immersive - the teacher did speak in spanish and then english for all of her instructions but other than that, the rest of the lesson was far from immersive. Their approach was pretty ineffective. I think the problem was with their sequence. They did a pretty formal approach - had her conjugating verbs and she really could not grasp that concept. The vocabulary they had her study was a bit random. It was worksheet based and the instructor basically read through the worksheet with her and went over pronunciation. My daughter retained very little of what she learned.  Maybe the program will work better with older kids who can catch onto the grammar.  I was hoping it would be an immersive, more individually tailored program and it really wasn't. It was formulaic (everyone gets the same sequence) and gets read the same worksheets. I think we were looking for something that this program just wasn't.  

We have been using it and like it. My DS is 7th grade. I think it's not perfect but better than I could do myself and cheaper than an outside class.

We've had tech issues twice. Both times were in the first lesson for the semester. One time was our fault and one time the fault was on their end. They were nice about working through it. I think the instructor matters a lot. There are varying degrees of teaching skills and personality can make a difference in how your child responds. We've had 2 different ones and we're trying a new one this semester because of scheduling conflicts. I'm a little nervous but optimistic that the new teacher will be a good fit. 

I haven't bought it for my younger kids yet. I'm not sure if they would get much from the program. My older girls are 5th grade and I think they would be ready but I think the value for my 2nd grade or anyone who is not "reading to learn" very well would be lower. 

We did it during the summer and loved it, but DD is also very good with grammar. If you want true immersion, you could ask, but I find that immersion works best if you know some grammar especially when the child is older. What worked for us during the summer was to go with the unlimited plan and schedule a couple of hours every day where part of it was grammar and vocabulary and the other part was conversation. In fact, I may need to go back to that since our current Spanish online program is going too slow for us, so we'll probably have to have two programs per week.

Have you done the trial class?  We did our free trial last week, and our 2 boys loved it.  I too am trying to make the decision whether or not to sign up!  I do wish there was a written curriculum to go along with the online classes.

Not yet, I got as far as the part where you can request a specific teacher.  Which teacher did you have?  I am hoping for someone who will have a rapport with my boys, I think that will make a difference for us.