Menu

Alternatives to Veritas Press Self-Paced?

meena

We used Veritas Press Self-Paced for Explorers to 1815. I liked it to supplement our history study, and it was a nice option for my older two to work on while I worked with my youngest. However, it was far from ideal--for us most notable were problems with audio and production quality. I just viewed a sample of the 1815-Present Self-Paced, and it was worse. I had a hard time understanding the main speakers at times and there are no captions available, so I know my visually-oriented learner would struggle terribly with it.

I'm looking for some type of supplement for 1815 (approx.) to the present that the older two can work on independently. Audio/video and interactive elements are important but I'm open to other ideas, too. What supplements or computer-based courses would you recommend for independent history study? 

We are doing Ancients and haven't had but one or two glitches and I suspect those were issues on our end.  I agree, are you certain that your computer isn't part of the problem?  Can you try logging on with someone else's computer?  As for captions being available, you may very well be right, that those don't exist.  I don't know.  I haven't tried.

I am hoping someone has a good option for you, though.  

I don't know. We've used it w/Verizon FIOS (the fastest/most reliable connection available in our neighborhood) and we currently have a different ISP, and VP plays the same on both. We've streamed VP on the TV, on the computer with external speakers, and on my laptop. The sound quality on VP can be poor at times on all of those devices, but we watch other streamed content with no problems. Part of the problem is that for some slides the sound will be loud and others will sound soft and/or distant. The variation may not be an issue for other people (or even noticeable) but I and two of my children have auditory processing issues that make that variation extremely hard to deal with. I contacted VP and they do not offer captioned programs.

So, back to the original question--any alternatives?

I have my DS doing K12 Modern History online (4th Grade course) this year. He's actually in 5th grade but the topics and assignments are challenging enough. I also am supplementing with additional fun reading (such as from Beakman's Book of Dead Guys and Gals of Science), IEW writing assignments using history content as the source material, map activities and a history notebook where he will keep notes on notable people and events. I mostly chose this option because I  wanted him to have something interactive and  fun that he could do while I am working with my younger ones.

I also am considering Discovery Streaming Plus for videos, skill builders, online games and quizzes, etc. It has tons of history content but also science, math, literature, etc. I could use it for all my kiddos actually. I have it free until the end of the month through the Homeschoolbuyers coop website. After that, it is available for an annual subscription at a much reduced cost (even up to 74% off depending on how many people sign up).

I agree about the sound quality. It wasn't consistent at all.

Maybe BJU online would fit your needs. http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_Heritage-Studies____559570

Okay, that makes me feel a little better. I though maybe it was just me -->  :willy_nilly:  :D

I will look into BJU. We use SL as our main history component, so I think it may be a little more than we need if you have to buy the whole kit and caboodle. I do appreciate the suggestion.

I also am considering Discovery Streaming Plus for videos, skill builders, online games and quizzes, etc. It has tons of history content but also science, math, literature, etc. I could use it for all my kiddos actually. I have it free until the end of the month through the Homeschoolbuyers coop website. After that, it is available for an annual subscription at a much reduced cost (even up to 74% off depending on how many people sign up).

Thank you for this idea! We tried Discovery Streaming a year or so ago via HSBC and liked it but decided to pass since we had a lot of other resources. Now that we have a hole in our schedule due to no VP, this may fit in nicely.