Menu

What to see in the Flagstaff, AZ area?

If you can, you've got to go to Sedona's Slide Rock Park.

It is GREAT fun!! It is a river, but this particular section is shallow with lots of large, flat rocks that you can get in the water and "slide".

Oh, we had lots and lots of fun when we went there. In fact, my boys would like to go there again, but they could pass up the Grand Canyon. The only thing you may want to watch is the temperature. We went in May and it was warm enough, but if it was going to be chilly when you visit, it may not be so fun being cold and wet.

Have a wonderful time. Out west is so different than here in the midwest.

oh, I would also second someone's suggestion above about the Lowell Observatory. The museum was not that great. Very small, but you'll have to see if you can go look through the telescopes at night. We got to see Saturn's rings and two of Jupiter's moons. I don't know what you'd be able to see now, but it was a great experience for us living in all the light polution!

Angie

An ohio gal

We are going to Flagstaff for vacation. We know to see the Grand Canyon, of course, but what else is nearby (up to 3 hours) that we would not want to miss?

We have 2 boys: 11 and 8. We do like to hike, my husband plans to take the boys skiing one day. Thanks for response!

1. Reardon House - history of the brothers that help found the city of Flagstaff

2. Lowell Observatory - fun for kids of all ages. They have a letter from astronaut Neil Armstrong among many other interesting facts & artifacts.

3. North Rim of Grand Canyon is nearby

4. The red hills of Sedona (southeast of Flag) in driving distance. Sedona has Jeep tours into the red cliffs, historical sites about all the Westerns ever filmed there and neat Cowboy-theme restaurants if this is something you care for.

I'll check if your e-mail is on your profile page. I can send you maps etc. that I won't need anymore.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think it will be too cold to be wet : bummer! Any ideas are appreciated!:D:

the Museum of Northern Arizona and Lowell Observatory. Riordan House tour is also an *inside* thing. It may still be worth driving to the canyon and to Sedona even if you cannot do some of the summer activities. You could also check with the university in Flagstaff - they have theater productions etc.

You can go skiing or snowboarding at Snow Bowl, or sledding at spots like Wing Mountain or Crowley, or cross-country skiing at the Nordic Center.

We're going to be there soon for some snow play, and we can't wait! We look forward to it every year!

Wendi

• 1 year later...

Definitely go to the Lowell Observatory. Go to one of the night tours, on a clear night, and you can see the heavens through their telescopes. We went, but it rained! It's a neat place to go with a cool tour and exhibits.

The Grand Canyon is about 80 miles north. It's $25 to get into the park, though, but that's a 7 day pass. They don't have a cheaper admission fee for a shorter time, though. But, it's worth it, even if you're there only a few hours.

OH, and if you're planning on heading westward from there, fill up on gasoline before hitting Williams, AZ. Prices for gas were significantly higher there than other places.

Sedona, Glen Canyon dam, Canyonlands, Navajo Bridge area (there are condors there and a visitor center) and Lee's Ferry, Hopi reservation, Navajo reservation, Betatakin, the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Vermillion Cliffs area.

We love Sedona. We have been visiting since before it was a tourist spot. In the early days of film, that is where they made many cowboys movies. Last time we were there we took a fantastic tour by jeep to see the cave and wall paintings there. Just beautiful!

We also rode the train in Williams to the Grand Canyon for the day. Wonderful trip.

My cousin lived there and higly recommends skiing or snowboarding for a day trip.

If you are interested, you will only be about 2 hours from Phoenix so anythign in that area is a possibility for you as well.

Our Flagstaff vacation was one of our favorites.

We loved Sedona. It's so beautiful. More than the canyon to me but the canyon is of course amazing in size and formation. We liked the meteor crater as well. That would be really cool for kids to see.

It's a little over your time frame (I think it took us about 4 hours) but we did the Hoover Dam as well when we stayed in Flagstaff.