Menu

Pulling together "Natural Science" ... tell me what you think.

While the intent is to study for the AP exam too, I want a good cram of some science topics, but with a different focus.

Title: Natural Science

Description:  This course offers a wide range of physical and biological science content.  The student will observe the blurring of boundaries between the different sciences and study a variety of subjects, including astronomy, geology, and life sciences. The content emphasizes the relationships between nature and humanity, as well as the principles and ideas of the place of humanity in nature and nature in humanity, i.e. basic principles of ecology, environmental impacts and considerations, and interaction and contribution of evolution.  The student will focus on vocabulary, memory work, diagramming and sketching, experimentation, research and writing.

The student is required complete one science fair project.

Resources:  

Lifepac Select: Astronomy, Alpha Omega

Lifepac Select: Geology, Alpha Omega

Lifepac Select: Life, Alpha Omega

Living in the Environment:  Principles, Connections, and Solutions, Cole Publishing

Additional Reference Texts:

The Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia

Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Science

Barron's AP Environmental Science, Barron's Educational Series

Additional reading supplements will be borrowed and assigned as needed or interest dictates.

What do you think?

What AP test, environmental science? 

Have you looked at the recommended AP texts? If I were considering having my student take the AP exam, I would strongly consider using one of the recommended texts. You have the study guide listed, but that is for study and review. The tests cover very specific topics, and I would probably want to use a text that others have used to successfully prepare for it. You can always try to correlate topics, but I think it's difficult to gauge the depth needed and so on unless you are well versed in the subject. 

Is this for your 13-yr-old? Keep in mind that the College Board recommends 2 to 3 science courses at the high school level before taking AP Environmental Science. It's not required, but it seems like this would be a hard go for a 7th- or 8th-grader. 

Honestly, I would not cram additional topics into an AP level course. In fact, "a good cram" is not really the best way to teach science. You need time to process the material, test it out in the lab, and figure things out for yourself to retain information.

However, if you decide to do this, definitely call out that this is an advanced class on the transcript. Rather than a vague title like "Natural Science" call it something like "Honors Environmental Science with AP Test" or somesuch. (You cannot call it AP Environmental Science" without the syllabus approval from College Board, but it is OK to say on a transcript that the AP test was taken and what the score was.

Yes, she may CLEP later down the road (her desire, but not sure of the follow through), but I want to leave that open as an option because of the subject matter that she wishes to cover.  Sorry for being so choppy ... but here are some more details.  

Now, I want to cram a general overview of key topics with the environmental science because they are IMO really needed to advance the understanding of the relationships.  You would have to know her to know why more is always better.  I feel like I am not addressing chem and physical science enough either, but I think that can easily be solved by a library trip.  The Lifepac sets are very informative and dd works through them very quickly (which is why we only use them as a supplement for enrichment).  I believe that these will make up for where we rabbit trailed in the past.  

I did pick from the list of suggested textbooks - I really liked Living in the Environment as it seemed to address my core objectives for the environmental science relative to the study of natural science subject matter, which is our relationship to nature and nature's relationship to us.

What do you think?  Honors Environmental Science - hmmm ... does it meet the typical criteria to be called such?  I have not had a child want so much science.  Should I split it on paper maybe?  I could split. I could give 1/2 credits, but dd would finish the semester's work in something like 6 weeks at the most for life, astronomy, and geology.  

I probably should mention that she took best in category and first place at the state science fair too, LOL.  This was last year when she went back to school for a year.  In her words ... "Gah, mom they don't really even do science!"  She was accustomed to Elemental Science too.

BTW Barron's for reference for me to get a quick refresher and for her to use to study should she decide to move forward with the test.  I picked this up cheap.  It will help make tests and quizzes as well.  

I am here because this is just feels like a ... m.e.s.s.

What should I do with it?  And yes, be very opinionated and point out any or all of my flaws in this.   :)  Tell me what you think.  I will not be hurt.  I have to do something even if I split it and put off actual environmental science as an elective subsequent to this year's study.  

On second thought, I will just let her claim the 1/2 credit for life science, astronomy, and geology and be done with it.  The more I think about this, the messier I could make it, LOL.  Soooo ..... blah!  She will earn 1.5 credits in science, and be done.  I will send her off to write more instead.  I feel a Nanowrimo may fit in nicely and encourage her to explore the other side of her brain.

My very opinionated opinion :) is that you are planning a class for a 7th grader. You've confused people a bit by posting on the high school board and saying AP which brings a whole different scope and sequence in. Forget AP for now. She is in 7th grade.

Call it Natural Science or general science or whatever you want. Do the things you've planned, but totally skip any thought of AP. If she feels ready at the end to consider the natural science CLEP, you could consider that, but odds are that will come much more easily after some more high school work. 

Don't try to cover too much. If the Lifepacs are a good way to ground her, that's fine. From there if you want to have her do some outlining in Kingfisher or Usborne, that could work too. You might consider trying to find a good middle school general science text that would give you a base of topics, or focus more in one direction. I would divide that course into two years of science. In 7th I would cover life science which would include environmental science. Then in 8th I would choose a Physical Science that includes Earth Science. It will cover the topics you are suggesting plus probably some chemistry and maybe some physics too. 

She will be eighth/ninth grade - she came away from seventh this year. She has done the Elemental Science and Pandia.  The PS moved her up a grade.  I kept her listed at grade level, but allowed her to go to Honors and Advanced courses with the eighth, ninth, and tenth graders.

BTW, found some neat links today ,,,.

Natural Science online http://cnx.org/content/m20805/latest/?collection=col11069/1.1

Physical science handouts https://sites.google.com/a/cherrycreekschools.org/rose-science/physical-science-workbooks-handouts

Environmental Science with virtual labs ... http://central.wmrhsd.org/faculty_site/facultyPage.asp?pageID=534&facultyID=236

I hope that they help someone.  LOL  OK, so I just spread it out.  Terrible part is that I think she will finish science in about 2 hours a week.  :-/  I suck at high school course sciences.  

She will be eighth/ninth grade - she came away from seventh this year. She has done the Elemental Science and Pandia.  The PS moved her up a grade.  I kept her listed at grade level, but allowed her to go to Honors and Advanced courses with the eighth, ninth, and tenth graders.

Ok, if she's in 8th, get through it this year :). You'll want her to move in to more traditional science classes for 9th and above. 

What about just doing Physical Science with a high school level book like this? That is what we did in 8th. It gave a good introduction to physics and chemistry and had the kids well prepared for high school sciences. I'm assuming her math level is at least Algebra. 

Yes, we have been working on BJU Algebra 1 this summer a few chapters into it.

I like that text.  I might just do that.  It looks like it will fill what I think she needs as a foundation for environmental science too.  I only have 2 days to figure this out.  :-/  She wants that silly high school credit for science.  Hey, thanks for the feedback.  I really needed to sound off someone!  Work and lesson planning kinda suck this time of year, LOL.

Doing algebra 1 in 8th is a pretty normal thing to do.  If she wants a more challenging science course, she ought to do the BJU Physical Science.  It's meant to be done with their algebra 1, and it's quite good.  BJU also has an exceptionally good Earth Science labeled for 8th grade.  In fact, if you want to blow it out of the water, do both.  :D