Menu

IPAD from the school

In my dc's school system there are no IPads for the kids - as a matter of fact I do not know of any local schools that give I pads out.  There are however assignments that are required to be handed in typed on the computer.  In the elementary and middle school there are laptops in each classroom and each school has a computer lab.  For any of the assignments where a computer is required, students are given some computer time in class to work on the paper or project.  They can also use a flash drive to take the assignment home to work on.  Students that have no computer or Internet access at home can use their homeroom period, or come in before or after school to use the computer lab at the school.  Students who have a computer at home but no printer can e-mail their assignment to the teacher. I am sure if all of those options are not viable the teacher would find a way to work with the student or accept a written assignment.  Teachers and schools can be more flexible than you might expect.

In my dc's school system there are no IPads for the kids - as a matter of fact I do not know of any local schools that give I pads out.  There are however assignments that are required to be handed in typed on the computer.  In the elementary and middle school there are laptops in each classroom and each school has a computer lab.  For any of the assignments where a computer is required, students are given some computer time in class to work on the paper or project.  They can also use a flash drive to take the assignment home to work on.  Students that have no computer or Internet access at home can use their homeroom period, or come in before or after school to use the computer lab at the school.  Students who have a computer at home but no printer can e-mail their assignment to the teacher. I am sure if all of those options are not viable the teacher would find a way to work with the student or accept a written assignment.  Teachers and schools can be more flexible than you might expect.

That's the way it used to work here, except our district didn't have homeroom.  Computers were available for an hour before school and an hour after.  However, teens in extra curricular don't always get that extra time.  They have practice before and/or after school, or tutorials for specific classes.  Books should be an option for those that want/need them.  I wish our district understood that.

Certainly, it'll be interesting to see what the market offers in the coming years. I noticed an ad for some sort of Dell tablet/notebook thing that looked similar to an ipad with keyboard. Really I'd like a laptop with the small size of the ipad. I don't even care for the touchscreen - I prefer the mouse. Maybe what I want is a Macbook air (I don't even know what it's called!) at a cheap price, LOL.

I saw that the other day, too.  It did pique my interest.  A combo of ipad/ laptop would be a much more useful tool.  I need to look and see exactly what they are capable of doing.  

Students that have no computer or Internet access at home can use their homeroom period, or come in before or after school to use the computer lab at the school.

Unfortunately the school bus leaves on time and it is too far to walk home for middle school. The computer lab is only open after school. The classrooms are locked during lunch, before and after school.

So,

Here is one of those threads that the moderators get puzzled by.

IMO, at least two posters are being rude towards each other, personally. Plus, at least two posters are violating the "Don't insist on the last word" rule. 

And the topic of the thread is, again IMO, not actually one that should inspire such responses.

And the thread has been reported, so far, six times.

There are clearly some deep-seated resentments here that have little to do with internet access. I'm closing the thread, and if anyone would like to PM me with information, please do.

Thank you for helping in our efforts to keep board dialogue civil...

SWB