Menu

Suggestions for Am. Gov. and Econ. Courses

Hi all!

I'm looking for high school curriculum, specifically American Government and Economics, for my 12 grader. I'm looking for something that is NOT boring like the textbooks in public schools (Lol), doesn't have an excessive amount of essay writing (that's what her writing course is for), and is mostly self-teaching (she's a pretty independent learner). Thank you so much in advance for your suggestions.

My is going to do government with the first part of American history in 11th grade and economics with the second part of American history in 12th grade.  She is going to use A Noble Experiment for government.  We have it, but we have not started school yet...... next week.  This is a curriculum on DVD with a workbook.  She will do it independently.  There are plenty of grades, but it is not heavy on writing- I don't think there are any writing assignments.  It saves time at the end for state/local government study although I think that is more of a self-study.  The semester-credit ends with the viewing of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.  

A Noble Experiment is published by ZeZok Publishing and is also sold at CBD.

http://www.zeezok.com/A-Noble-Experiment-The-History-and-Nature-of-the-American-Government-COMBO-SET_p_64.html

http://www.christianbook.com/experiment-history-american-government-teacher-resource/9781610060042/pd/160036

I don't know what we'll use for economics in 12th grade.  We may outsource it. Our school covering offers an economics/personal finance class for 1 high school credit.  I would like to know, howver, if there is anything like A Noble Experiment that would cover economics just in case we tackle this course at home.

Hmmm… Hard to think of one provider for BOTH Government AND Economics that are more interesting/engaging AND are complete/self-directed…. Tried to provide a variety of ideas below, and hope something will click for your family! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Complete Programs -- Self-Directed

- Gov't & Econ = AO Life Pacs (workbook set) -- or -- Switched on Schoolhouse CDs

- Econ = Economics in a Box (books and DVDs program)

Books

Econ = Lessons for the Young Economist (free pdf book)

Econ = Economics for the Impatient (book)
Econ = The Complete Idiot's Guide to Economics (Gorman)
Econ = Economics for Dummies (Masaki)

Econ = Economics in One Lesson (Hazlitt) -- free online pdf book; written in 1946

DVD / CD video lectures

- Gov't = Standard Deviants: American Gov't Super Pack (secular; 10 DVD set; 3.5 hours)

- Econ = Stossel in the Classroom (DVD or streaming videos)

- Econ = Teaching Company: Economics (secular; 36 30-minute lectures on micro and macro economics) 
- Econ = Thinkwell: Economics (secular; 180 video lessons on micro and macro economics)
- Econ = Khan Academy (secular; free video tutorials: intro to econmicroeconmacroeconcurrent econ)

- Gov't = Khan Academy (secular; free video tutorials: American civics)

Supplements -- Essays / Books:
Econ = An Economics Fairy Tale (19th century essay)
Econ = I, Pencil (19th century essay)
Gov't & Econ = Bluestocking Press/Uncle Eric = Economics, Government (books & guide; Libertarian perspective)

Gov't -- Mock Legislative/Judicial Programs -- Learn By Doing
Gov't = YMCA Youth In Government (model legislation program) (west of Mississippi =Youth AND Government) 

Gov't = Teen CourtYouth CourtMock Trial (model judicial branch of government)
Gov't = TEEN Pact (government and the political process; Christian)
Politics/Gov't =  Junior State of America (teen events on civics/politics; speakers & discussion sessions)
Politics = National Model United Nations or Model United Nations (mock U.N. session)

Past Threads with More Ideas:

Economics and Government suggestions

Government and Economics -- not rigorous
Help! American Gov and Econ for 12th grade

Please list what you use for Amer. History, Government, and Economics

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Declaration-Independence-Constitution-Classical/dp/0971189102/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407356996&sr=8-1&keywords=guide+for+Learning+and+Teaching

If you scroll down the page there's a recommended Economy book too.

It's written to the parent/teacher but there's no reason at all a 12th grader couldn't do it on her own.

Thank you so much, Lori D. I have been stressing over Econ for a few days, and getting lost in WTM land. Having these listed in one post is extremely helpful.

Hmmm… Hard to think of one provider for BOTH Government AND Economics that are more interesting/engaging AND are complete/self-directed…. Tried to provide a variety of ideas below, and hope something will click for your family! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Please list what you use for Amer. History, Government, and Economics