Menu

Help! American Gov & Econ for 12th grade

This is the only place I could think of to get REAL answers for my problem...

We have used Sonlight and or Mystery of History almost all the way through our Homeschooling career. Lit based or spine programs...We have used some workbook things and even have experience with SOS (for HS Health) and Teaching Textbooks for Math.

So, now that we are HERE - 12th grade (AH!)

MOH doesn't have the 4th book out and we don't want to use Sonlight as it's too Lit. intense for that Core. We JUST want to get the credit for Am Gov & Econ and be done (KWIM?).

My son is headed into the Military as a Firefighter so just needs the info and the credits.

I have looked at SOS's 1 year program and Notgrass 1/2 semester each, Amanda Benett's Unit Study on Gov....and a few other things like Economics in a Box. Is there ANYTHING else out there I should check out before making my final decision?

I would love something more Video driven or on the computer, but doesn't have to be, of course. HELP! ;)

Khan acadomy has economics and finance videos which could be used with something like the free book at " The Christian Scholar " website. I think the full course is offered there too. I have also seen several interesting micro and macroeconomic study helps when I google. This is another course I need to plan.

I think Khan also has some US Government videos. Get a good spine -- a beka has one that I use as a reference. Do it next fall with a study of the election process.

I hope you find a good curriculum for your son!

If you like Sonlight, you might enjoy their Economics program.

This can be used as a 1/2 Year Course

http://www.sonlight.com/570-00.html

Thinkwell also offers an American Government Course. SL doesn't sell it; they suggest their own program. But it's a good option for finishing up.

I believe the Homeschool Buyers Co-op has a special on Thinkwell at 50% off this week.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

DD18 did US Government this year (one semester) using "A Noble Experiment". It was pretty interesting - lectures on CD and a workbook that went with it. Had a Christian slant (if that matters)

https://www.zeezok.com/government-and-history

Please provide a review or details regarding this program. I have been eyeing it since it is video based at a reasonable price. I know that it has a Christian slant to it but is it real pushy and woven throughout the whole program? Can a person with a more secular lean skip or talk through it when it comes up? For example I have been able to use the Beautiful Feet Guides successfully. When I looked at the samples it looked like the first couple of lessons focused on religion to help prepare the student but after that it got down to the business of government also I did not hear any mention of God or religion in the video sample. Any information anyone can provide will be much appreciated!

Please provide a review or details regarding this program. I have been eyeing it since it is video based at a reasonable price. I know that it has a Christian slant to it but is it real pushy and woven throughout the whole program? Can a person with a more secular lean skip or talk through it when it comes up? For example I have been able to use the Beautiful Feet Guides successfully. When I looked at the samples it looked like the first couple of lessons focused on religion to help prepare the student but after that it got down to the business of government also I did not hear any mention of God or religion in the video sample. Any information anyone can provide will be much appreciated!

I would not call the program "pushy", but the guy doing the lecturers certainly expresses his belief that the founding fathers' work can best be understood in terms of the religious context of the time. He does try to get that context through to the student. So there is lots of talk about God and religious authority and how religious views impacted the government that developed. We are secular homeschoolers and were able to use this without editing.

One thing I will say - the lecturer is a bit pendantic. It took my free-flowing DD18 a few lectures to come to terms with his speaking style without melting down after listening. He has a sample lecture on YouTube.

My 12th grader is using BJU Economics and Great Source American Government. We are making up Quizlet sets for each chapter for the grade. He can read the chapter, do the Quizlet, and check off the box for those requirements.

That being said, I want to move away from textbooks and toward more "real books" for next year. I'll probably add in some videos, documentaries, and library books.

My 12th grader used Great Source American Gov't. for one semester. (shameless plug: I'm selling the text, te, activity guide on the for sale section right now!) Then this semester we're using "What Ever Happen to Penny Candy?" along with the corresponding Blue Stocking Workbook. We are also doing Dave Ramsey's Personal Finance Dvds and workbook. (shameless plug #2 - I'll be selling these in May!)

Myra

I would not call the program "pushy", but the guy doing the lecturers certainly expresses his belief that the founding fathers' work can best be understood in terms of the religious context of the time. He does try to get that context through to the student. So there is lots of talk about God and religious authority and how religious views impacted the government that developed. We are secular homeschoolers and were able to use this without editing.

One thing I will say - the lecturer is a bit pendantic. It took my free-flowing DD18 a few lectures to come to terms with his speaking style without melting down after listening. He has a sample lecture on YouTube.

I am actually ok with this since it is in context with the times and the people being studied. I just don't want current religious views being pushed while studying the subject at hand. Does this curriculum teach how our current government is run or is it strictly the history of how our government was created? I want my ds to understand how the current system works and his role in it. So I guess I'm looking for some civics as well.

I watched the sample lecture and kept giggling for the first couple of minutes. I'm not sure how ds will react, lol. He use to dislike Andrew Pudewa's voice on the IEW DVDs but after attending his workshop and meeting him in person ds thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread!

Economics

I *highly* recommend making Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance as part of your Economics credit: 12 hours of enjoyable DVD seminar teachings of practical, specific information on debt, saving, investing, buying for less with cash, etc., plus the accompanying workbook (fill it in as you watch the DVD).

For the rest of the Economics credit, we used the Teaching Company's Economics on DVD (it also comes on just audio CD for cheaper) -- a total of 18 hours -- 36 30-minute lectures, half on micro-economics (supply & demand, prices, wages, etc.) and half on macro-economics (government policies and how they affect our economy). Not exciting, but very informative stuff that any teen really should know going into adulthood for understanding who you vote for will have an economic impact on you, the taxpayer. Look for it at your library, or buy it used, through Amazon, or from this Board or other used curriculum resource.

A computer CD option of video lessons:

- Thinkwell Economics (if you buy from the website, you get a year's online support and the online aspects; you can also just buy the CDs used for less and just use it that way)

Government

We used the Great Source textbook; not exciting, but it covered everything and then some. If you can at ALL fit it in, have your teen do the Teen Pact program, or get involved with a mock legislative or judicial program (Model UN, Youth in Government, Mock Trial, Junior State of America...) They learn SO much more by doing it, and it is SO much more interesting -- and loads of FUN! Neither of my DSs is remotely interested in going into politics, yet every year they asked to participate in Youth in Gov't -- they had so much fun writing their own bills, debating bills, voting and politicking in the state capital...

For DVD options:

- Standard Deviants: American Government -- the "super pack" of 10 DVDs (see it at http://www.cbd.com) would be best, but if you can't find it used or at your library, it is expensive. For a cheaper much shorter video option you could try the "2 Pack" (see it at http://www.amazon.com) -- but it is so short you would definitely need additional material; perhaps the free online American Government at Hippo Campus?

Edited by Lori D.