Menu

Anyone do this?

Are you wanting to use it for 9th grade? Or higher? And why do you want to use this particular text?

I can see times for below grade reading. If a subject is totally new to the student, for example. If *I* want a quick overview of subject that is completely new to me, I might start with a crash course using a relatively easy text.

If I wanted my student to read some meaty tomes of fiction/biography and really focus on primary source work for that course, I might not want my student's spine to be a tough slog, too.

But I would only use a text that was below my student's ability if I had a well thought out reason for the choice.

Can you give us the name of the text?

I was considering Notgrass, America the Beautiful, vol 2. It just seemed more interesting to me than the high School texts. However, it may just be because I'm not aware of other texts that are interesting.

Are you wanting to use it for 9th grade? Or higher? And why do you want to use this particular text?

I can see times for below grade reading. If a subject is totally new to the student, for example. If *I* want a quick overview of subject that is completely new to me, I might start with a crash course using a relatively easy text.

If I wanted my student to read some meaty tomes of fiction/biography and really focus on primary source work for that course, I might not want my student's spine to be a tough slog, too.

But I would only use a text that was below my student's ability if I had a well thought out reason for the choice.

I wanted to use it for 9th and 10th grades. I wanted to use Notgrass and supplement with other sources. My kids really enjoy history, but I think because all of these years I've made it relaxed, fun and somewhat interesting. We've always read history together so that we could discuss topics. We were going to do in-depth of US Hist from Civil War-Modern times. I'm guessing Notgrass (America the Beautiful) may not go in-depth enough.

I think I may use the America:Past and Present (since 1865). It seems to be well-liked and definitely thorough.

Maybe something like the fundafunda plan? http://fundafunda.com/blog/in-depth-us-history-course-for-high-schoolers.html. It's meaty, but there's only 30 weeks and you'd skip a large chunk to start at the Civil War. If you spread it out and added your own literature it would fit what you're looking for. :)

Have you considered the Notgrass high school American history course? (It's called Exploring America.)

Yes, I was just wanting to do the Civil War-Modern times and Notgrass has the separate book covering that time period. I know I can just move through the other one, but I'm weird like that... :tongue_smilie: It would totally stress me to not use the entire book. I know, weird..lol.

Yes, I was just wanting to do the Civil War-Modern times and Notgrass has the separate book covering that time period. I know I can just move through the other one, but I'm weird like that... :tongue_smilie: It would totally stress me to not use the entire book. I know, weird..lol.

That would not stress ME out, but my kid does not like to start in the middle of a book.  I understand :)

I have the America the Beautiful (ATB) books and some of Joy Hakim's books.  IMO, the Hakim books are at a higher reading level than the Notgrass. Another option would be Hakim's History of US starting with Volume 6, War Terrible War.

Old thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/146220-suggestions-on-using-the-joy-hakim-history-of-us-books-as-a-high-school-us-history/

One thing that I really like about the ATB books are the landmark chapters and some of daily life sections.  Some of the biographies are a bit off-beat, too. Actually, I would like to have my 8th grader just read through those sections, and skip the history sections.