Menu

Bread bakers - burger buns?

Yet another question from the seemingly never-ending pit of bread baking questions. I wanted to bake burger buns, so I just took my regular recipe and rolled 12 little balls and placed them in a 9x13 pan, thinking they would end up burger buns. They are more like dinner rolls. What do I need to do to make them rise higher and fluffier? I use 5 cups flour (3 wheat/2 white bread flour) and 2 tbs gluten, as well as the other regular stuff.

Thanks for any suggestions,

5 c warm water

1 c oil

2/3 c honey

1/2 c potato flour

1/2 c buttermilk powder

2 c bread flour

3 c fresh ground whole wheat flour

4 T dough enhancer

4 T instant yeast

Knead for 2 minutes in mixer. Let sponge for 15 minutes.

Add 2 T salt

3 eggs(optional) for lighter texture

Continue to add flour until sides of bowl come clean.

Knead until gluten has developed.

Form into balls and let rise until doubled.

Here is another one I haven't tried yet.

4 c warm water

2 T sugar

2 c whole wheat flour

1/4 vinegar

1/4 c oil

2 T vital gluten

2 T powdered milk

5 c white flour

4 T Instant yeast

Mix until moistened. Let sponge until it reaches the top of the bowl.

Add flour until dough pulls away from side of bowl. Add back 2-3 T water. Knead for 5 minutes or until gluten is developed. Form into balls and let rise until double.

Amy, what is dough enhancer?

Thanks!

The company is called Blue Chip baker and you should be able to find it where you buy your bread baking supplies.

I will list the ingredients for you:

Whey, Soy Lecithin, Tofu Powder, Citric Acid, Sea Salt, Corn Starch, Vitamin C(Ascorbic Acid) Enriched Wheat flour, Dry Yeast.

If you are sensitive to/avoid any of those ingredients you can probably try it without.

Is it the shape? I just use my regular recipe. I divide them and shape as round as I want them, but fairly flat. I get 8-12 buns from a one-loaf recipe.

Well, maybe I shouldn't have put them into a 9x13 pan. I rolled 1 loaf's worth (my recipe actually makes 2 loaves, which I didn't explain in my original post) into 12 balls and put them in the pan to rise. They looked good, maybe a bit small for what I was hoping, and when they were done baking, looked just like dinner rolls! I think maybe I should have divided them into 8 instead of 12. What do you bake them in/on?

And thanks to everyone else who provided recipes - I will be trying them all out over the next couple days to see which ones work for me.

I use this one:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hamburger-Buns/Detail.aspx

I sub in half to 2/3 soft white whole wheat (I have a grain mill) and I add in gluten. I have to be really careful with the whole wheat or they'll come out too dense to be real hamburger buns. Also, I don't preheat the oven, because I find they rise better when they spend a few minutes in a warming oven.