Menu

Flying with wet sailing gear?

swimmermom3

Yes, you read the title right.

Ds is flying out to a four-day regatta.  On the last day, they get off the boats, load them, change into nice clothes for an awards ceremony and then catch an evening plane home. Some of the gear, if not all of it, will be wet when packed, I think. We are sending him with an old suitcase to pack all of his sailing gear in: stinky boots, wet suit, pfd, harness, and the smaller gear. This bag will be checked. He will carry on backpack with personal items.  Do you think a couple of hefty sacks will contain the wet mess in the gear bag? Are there other options for traveling with this kind of stuff?

This is totally outside our realm of experience. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Side note - does anyone know of a good way to permanently mark names on dark materials that spend a lot of time in water?

Our dryer stopped working right before we were supposed to fly somewhere and all of my son's clothes were wet.  He put them in a plastic garbage bag and checked the bag.  It was pretty heavy, but not heavy enough to make it cost more.  Nothing outside the garbage bag got wet.  But the clothes weren't sopping wet, just sort of damp.

We have used Sharpie markers to mark on the tags in clothes and it hasn't come off in many many washings. 

Our dryer stopped working right before we were supposed to fly somewhere and all of my son's clothes were wet.  He put them in a plastic garbage bag and checked the bag.  It was pretty heavy, but not heavy enough to make it cost more.  Nothing outside the garbage bag got wet.  But the clothes weren't sopping wet, just sort of damp.

We have used Sharpie markers to mark on the tags in clothes and it hasn't come off in many many washings. 

Wet clothes before a flight would make me crazy!  Thank you for reminding me about the weight when everything is wet; now I'll  check the weight with everything dry to be sure that it is several pounds under the weight limit to account for coming home wet.

Do they make Sharpies in white? Ds's board shorts and rash guards don't have tags in them and wetsuit is black. Neoprene boots are navy. I really need to mark everything.

Wet clothes before a flight would make me crazy!  Thank you for reminding me about the weight when everything is wet; now I'll  check the weight with everything dry to be sure that it is several pounds under the weight limit to account for coming home wet.

Do they make Sharpies in white? Ds's board shorts and rash guards don't have tags in them and wetsuit is black. Neoprene boots are navy. I really need to mark everything.

They make Sharpies in silver. I use it on dark soccer balls.

DH has a wet-gear bag.  Actually, he says it's called "Dry Bag" because it is supposed to keep your gear dry when you are onthe water.  However, he uses it for for transporting stuff that gets wet - rain gear, pfds, muddy boots.

It looks like this one - He actually has several different sizes and says you could close it up and check it on a plane with no problem.

http://www.rei.com/product/878949/bear-grylls-dry-bag-60-liters-2013-closeout

DH has a wet-gear bag.  Actually, he says it's called "Dry Bag" because it is supposed to keep your gear dry when you are onthe water.  However, he uses it for for transporting stuff that gets wet - rain gear, pfds, muddy boots.

It looks like this one - He actually has several different sizes and says you could close it up and check it on a plane with no problem.

I totally forgot about dry bags. This is an awesome idea.

ETA: Side note - does anyone know of a good way to permanently mark names on dark materials that spend a lot of time in water?

Can't help with the first question but for this one,use a silver or gold sharpie. They show up really well on dark colors and are, in my experience,  just as permanent as the black one.

Great idea!  That would solve several problems. He can carry it on with his clothes in my laptop bag, which can go under the seat. Then he can carry the dry bag with all of his gear back and forth from the sailing club. No need for an extra bag.

We travel and scuba quite a bit. They make heavy-duty mesh scuba duffels for wet gear (wet suits, flippers, gloves, booties and such). We check them all the time. The contents are not dripping, but they are definitely wet. The mesh assures that the contents won't be moldy and stinky when we get home.

That has always worked well for us.