Menu

Health insurance question

regentrude

DD's university requires that students purchase student health insurance, but they can waive it if teh student has alternative insurance that meets a long list of criteria.

Our family's health insurance plan meets almost all of the criteria (still have to double check about out-of-state-network providers), except for the required medical evacuation to the student's home. Our insurance covers only 150 miles.

So my question is: does anybody know of a stand-alone medical evacuation insurance students are eligible for? I don't think travel insurance quite cuts it because the student might be staying too long in the other location. Has anybody been succesful figuring this out?

Thanks! I'd rather not spend another several thousand $.

Perhaps you could contact your provider and ask them. In my area I have seen brochures for insurance to cover the cost of medivac helicopter services, since we are about a two and a half hour drive from the nearest big hospital complex. If your insurance provider doesn't know of anything possibly an EMT in your area might be familiar with companies that provide this type of service. Good luck.

Is this from college to home or something to be used in case of overseas travel like with study abroad or school sponsored trips?

I've not used them but International SOS is a company I had heard of when we moved overseas years ago.

It's from college to home. Overseas would be totally easy - there are tons of companies that offer it. But I have not found anybody who offers domestic evac from college to home town.

Wow it's not easy to find info on this.  And wow to what her university charges for health insurance!   That's the highest I've seen.

Here's one I found with a ridiculously low $125 per year which covers the whole family for 12 months.  Definitely cheaper than their health insurance!  Looks like they use a helicopter instead of a plane which would likely cost a whole lot more.

http://www.apollomt.com/view-plans/

Regarding my link above, I'd definitely ask about their coverage specifically for your daughter from college to home and whether her medical condition needs to be classified as an emergency or not.   I'd suggest asking the university, but I'd be surprised if they'd help you out as their insurance is likely highly profitable for them.  Maybe there's a parents' group you can ask what others have used?

Is it possible that this is something they only cover within their in house insurance for foreign students who are in the US on a student visa?  I'm wondering if they really provide this for students who need to get back to Peoria.

In an emergency, I'd be expecting the student to be treated at the nearest appropriate facility.  If it is a chronic issue and they are taking a semester off or leaving in the middle of a semester, that is a different topic. 

Sebastian brought up a good point.  If she's considered international, then that may be the reason for the requirement.  If you explained that you live in the states, this might be waived.  Or is it for anyone whose insurance doesn't cover healthcare facilities local to the college?   I wonder if you couldn't sign something saying that you will either pay out of pocket for healhcare out of network there or pay to have her flown to your home where she has insurance?  It does seem strange to need that additional coverage.

Evacuation insurance = mom.

Yes, I wonder if you could just set up a fund earmarked for that purpose in lieu of insurance. We're talking the cost of a plane ticket, right? Of course I have no idea how you could set something like that up in such a way to satisfy the university.

Sounds like an unusual requirement to me. I would be interested to hear how you are able to solve the problem, hopefully without spending thousands of dollars!

Sebastian brought up a good point.  If she's considered international, then that may be the reason for the requirement.  If you explained that you live in the states, this might be waived. 

I do not see why she would be considered international - she is a US citizen, our family lives in the US, has a home address here that is on tax return and all papers...

The requirement is for ALL students whose home is more than 100 miles form the school

Or is it for anyone whose insurance doesn't cover healthcare facilities local to the college? 

No, the insurance plan must cover healthcare local to the college. That's another main stipulation.

Wow it's not easy to find info on this.  And wow to what her university charges for health insurance!   That's the highest I've seen.

Here's one I found with a ridiculously low $125 per year which covers the whole family for 12 months.  Definitely cheaper than their health insurance!  Looks like they use a helicopter instead of a plane which would likely cost a whole lot more.

http://www.apollomt.com/view-plans/

I know, the price is ridiculously high!

Sadly, we're not in Alaska... the company in the link is based in Fairbanks and does not seem to service the states we need.

I'll keep digging

Glad I could help!   :grouphug:

I had been searching for hours, and there are dozens of companies who will do medical evacuation when you are traveling out of the country, but not domestic. Did you use a special search term? (I did all permutations of the search terms medical evacuation college student insurance)

It's funny, I was trying to think of how I searched and I couldn't remember.  I think I did something like medical air transport domestic college - something like that.  I was only coming up with international travel as well.   I went onto doing other things, and then I decided to give it a try again and that company came up.  I'm sure that if there's one then there are others.  It's not a bad deal especially once you have more than one in college, and it would also cover everyone while on vacation.  I know we have some families here on the forum with students with medical needs and this could be really great for them too as it's probably cheaper than flying to where they are to help them out.  Never would have imagined a college would require this type of coverage, but it's not bad to have.  Another one of those things you hope you never need to use. 

Just remembered that I included the term insurance, but didn't get anywhere, and then tried the term membership along with all the other stuff, and that worked.  Without that, it just brought up companies you could hire for an emergency evac on the spot, not something you could buy ahead of time.