Menu

Robinson Crusoe for a 4th grader....

Julia in WV

What are your thoughts on the "Great Illustrated Classics" series of books? We ended the year trying to get through Robinson Crusoe with my 8yo ds. I basically paraphrased the story due to the hard to understand language. What version of this book have you used with a 4th grader? Thanks, Julia

We actually skipped Robinson Crusoe for the same reason you mentioned. I found a book at the library we read instead - "Marooned" This book is the story about the man who was marooned on a South-Pacific Island and Robinson Crusoe was based on this mans' story. It worked out well. We read the book and spoke about Defoe and the story he wrote.

Susie

We have the Classic Start series. These are really nice books that are rewritten for the younger crowd. We have "Treasure Island" and "Swiss Family Robinson" and my girls enjoyed those. They do have " Robinson Crusoe. I just haven't picked that one up yet. We've read Calvert's Robinson Crusoe and my girls enjoyed this book. I was surprised but they did.

You can find the Classic Start books at Barnes and Nobles or on Amazon , just about anywhere.

What are your thoughts on the "Great Illustrated Classics" series of books? We ended the year trying to get through Robinson Crusoe with my 8yo ds. I basically paraphrased the story due to the hard to understand language. What version of this book have you used with a 4th grader? Thanks, Julia

Julia - I used this book with my 1st grade dd and she did beautifully. The language is probably close to 4th-ish grade level so your son should do fine. I really enjoyed listening to her read this version - quite a lovely one.

Christall

My dh reads the Great Illustrated Classics and thinks he has read the real story:lol:. My dc read them on their own as well. But when I read aloud to them I read the original classics. I think it is just fine that their vocabulary gets a real stretching. It is just like trying new foods. The more you serve kohlrabi the more it becomes like carrots. Keep reading the original versions (not necessarily Chaucer at that age). Read in smaller chunks and use lots of voice inflections and changes to keep them interested. Stop frequently and ask them if they understand what is happening in the story so far. Stop at specific words and explain them. They will soon get used to this and the Great Illustrated Classics will then seem easy to them and rather dry. Giving your dc a mastery of vocabulary is a great gift they will continue to use and build on their entire lives.