Menu

Well, I think the state of TN wins...

Susan in TN

The "we don't know what the #%*#?! we are doing, but we have a form for that (maybe)" Award.

TN has state lottery funded scholarships for TN graduates attending a participating college or university within the state. There are a few minor grade and test score requirements, plus a few extra for home schoolers. That's fine. We did everything the website told us to do.

So this week I checked on ds's "account" and it said "pending verification". We called the state office and asked what needed to be verified. They said, oh we're glad you called. You need to contact ds's university and have them verify the info (umbrella school). Fine. We called the U and they said, it's a good thing you called - there isn't any system in place letting people know that they have to contact the student's college or U to request verification. We just have to hope people will keep checking their accounts and then call to see what the problem is. ?

Uh. OK. They emailed a form which turned out to be an old rough draft. We called again and they said, Oh, yeah, that's for a different kind of homeschooler. You don't need any verification. But I will call them and verify your info to the state anyway and if it's not changed by Thursday call me back.

Good grief. Totally worth the trouble though - it will cover almost 1/3 of tuition, room, and board.

Glad you were on the ball. We have a similar system with homeschoolers in Kentucky. Students who attend public high school automatically appear in the state system. For homeschoolers colleges try to catch it and submit it but it is hit and miss. It is worth a lot less money here and while colleges try to catch it and submit it I'm sure there are homeschoolers who miss out and probably never realize it. That's a shame because while it isn't a lot of money it is without a lot of restrictions so even for kids with full scholarships it can be a nice add on for books.

right there with you, doing same thing....   We got the email in May and personally took it over to the university that day along with final offical transcript. Not sure how the college is supposed to verify our homeschool status for the past 2 years, but, the state grant is showing as a credit on our tuition invoice so it must have been easy to do..???  maybe??  I don't know???

Thank you for posting. We'll be on the lookout for this next year. Meanwhile, we've been using the dual enrollment grant through the same TN lottery scholarship organization for the past few years and it has been very simple and trouble-free.