Menu

bad sunburn - what will help

Loowit

My DS got a very bad sunburn on his neck and shoulders at camp.  I has been a week and a half.  Most of it is healed except for one shoulder that is still very painful, cracked, and peeling.  He is able to wear soft clothes on it, but it is painful for him to move his arm much and he won't let me touch it.  It doesn't look infected, but the burn went pretty deep.  He got burned on his first day of camp while waiting for his swimming test.  He didn't think to put sunscreen on anything but his arms because he didn't think he would be there very long.  The leaders he was with at camp put some sunburn cream on it but it didn't seem to help much and they never sent him to the medic to get checked.  I didn't see the initial burn but from what I saw when I picked him up a week later it looked like it was likely a second degree burn.

I am not sure what, if anything, I can put on it to help at this point.  I am keep an eye out for infection and keeping it clean.  Is it something that will just need to heal on its own over time?

If you use essential oils at all, Lavendar works.  Ds was at the beach a few weeks ago, and despite several applications of sunscreen AND not going into the water, he got a BAD sunburn.  He would put water in a bowl and add about 6-8 drops of lavendar oil to it.  He would get a rag wet with the mixture and dab it on the burn till he felt relief.  I know it works wonders for me when I have burned a finger while cooking or gotten a small burn from touching something hot.

as someone who has had some very bad sunburns in her time, I suggest a doctor. I would hesitate to put anything heavy or oil because it might exacerbate the peeling and leave more skin raw. They might want him to keep it covered with a sterile gauze bandage etc.

If it still feels hot and burning, then any fever relief medication can help, such as motrin or tylenol etc.

Poor, poor kid. I really feel for him.