Menu

Library science credit?

My 16yr old daughter is working as a librarian, running circulation desk, etc.  Can we count this as a science credit?  And maybe even a lab science since she is in the library working (hands on).. 

Also, she will be teaching a creative writing course this fall.  Is there any type of credit for teaching?  She already has lots of creative writing credits (she writes novels and has studied this career field extensively)

Thanks!

Misty

Science? No. That's like counting political science as a science.

Usually any sort of work would go as an internship, apprenticeship, or extracurricular.

Definitely not science. If you want to count it, you'll have to count it as an elective. You certainly can do that. I haven't talked to you for awhile and don't know your dd's plans after high school. If she is planning on going to college, remember that colleges want extracurriculars too. They will love her work at the library on her application. It is a great fit with her creative writing. I would keep it there. 

I would probably do the same thing with the teaching. Is it volunteer? All the collge applications I have looked at (a VERY small sample) specifically ask how many volunteer hours the student has done in the last year. Since she has all the creative writing she needs, and I know she does, just keep that as a volunteer position.

Both of those things are important when it comes to college applications. They don't help you fill in core classes, but they are still important.

No - it's work experience. Library Science isn't a science, it's a "soft" science like political science. I think she'd probably get more traction listing it as a job. Colleges like students with work experience, too. 

You might be able to give her some type of credit for a practicum for teaching the creative writing class. Will you be requiring her to complete lesson plans? How will you be evaluating her? I know a couple of people who have done this with student that sound similar to your daughter. 

Thanks ladies!  Another homeschool mom had mentioned to me that it might count as a science credit so just thought I'd ask.  Wishful thinking since she hates science.  Computer science counts as a science credit, right?  

The teaching is somewhat volunteer.  She is getting paid, but very little and that will be to cover materials mostly.  It's at a homeschool co-op.  She has already created the entire year's lesson plans.  The library position is volunteer.  She's been volunteering there for the past year.

After high school she is planning on an English degree to be a writer and editor and possibly teacher (Although her dream is to have a cat cafe with oodles of books for customers to read at their leisure while they pet adoptable cats and sip hot drinks... lol)

Laurel, what is TA?  I'm drawing a blank.  Teacher assistant?

TA is teaching assistant.

Computer science is not usually a science class either.

For a high school student with strong passions outside of science and very little interest in science, I would have absolutely no compunction with using a git-r-done workbook and calling it done.

Computer science counts as a science credit, right?  

No, computer science is a technology credit. List it under electives on the transcript. 

Science credits are biological or physical sciences. Some typical high school science credits include: 

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

Human Anatomy & Physiology

Earth Science (also known as Earth Systems Science)

Environmental Science

Forensic Science

There are probably some others you can throw in there. Since she's not a science lover, consider allowing her to follow her interests as much as possible in science. She needs to have at least one lab science. 

After high school she is planning on an English degree to be a writer and editor and possibly teacher (Although her dream is to have a cat cafe with oodles of books for customers to read at their leisure while they pet adoptable cats and sip hot drinks... lol)

I'll come to the cafe! 

Since she's thinking of starting a business, she might like to do some credits in marketing, accounting, entrepreneurship, etc.. Go to a textbook publisher website for ideas. They will have a heading of "technical and career education" or something similar, under that will be business textbooks. You can get some ideas for courses there. The Small Business Administration might also be a good place to get some course ideas.

ETA: In college, if she minors in a business field, she will be more attractive to banks when it comes time to get a start up loan. She should also have some cafè or other food service experience at that point as well. 

Thanks ladies!  Another homeschool mom had mentioned to me that it might count as a science credit so just thought I'd ask.  Wishful thinking since she hates science.  Computer science counts as a science credit, right?  

The teaching is somewhat volunteer.  She is getting paid, but very little and that will be to cover materials mostly.  It's at a homeschool co-op.  She has already created the entire year's lesson plans.  The library position is volunteer.  She's been volunteering there for the past year.

Sorry, no science for computer science either. You might try this thread for lots of unusual course ideas. There are plenty of science suggestions in there. I have seen other threads with long list of alternative science ideas, but can't find one at the moment.

My ds would come to her cafe, but then, I've always thought they would be great friends.

Thinking about your family, what about Equine Science, Environmental Science, Animal Science... something along those lines?

She'll probably need at least one physical science, so chemistry, physics, physical science, maybe earth science? Then Biology and something that catches her interest will give her the 3 that most colleges are going to require. Check the college she is considering to make sure of admission requirements if she has one in mind.

I would hesitate to to put anywhere in writing that she is working as a librarian.  A library assistant yes, but not a librarian.  In my experience you need a Masters in Library Science to be hired as an actual librarian, even though she may be doing many of the same tasks.