Menu

Looking for ideas

Mama Geek

I would like to start playing store with dd and am looking for ideas of things that she might like to "buy" in order to work on her addition some.  I am thinking of starting with small items and I would rather not have lots of junk, I would rather the stuff have some value.  I am thinking of giving her some change maybe up to 20 cents and have it where she can buy 2 or 3 things at a time.  I am not even thinking everyday, just something fun and different to do that would make it more interesting.  Here are some of the things i have thought of

small tubes of kids toothpaste (Dentist gave her some on her first visit and she really thinks it is a big deal)

small dental floss (see above)

single pieces of wrapped candy

colored pens (she already has markers, dry erase markers, colored pencils, crayons, modeling clay, some erasers, straws and tooth picks, chalk)

stickers

a few bracelets

fridge magnets

juice boxes

popsicles

maybe dollar store books

Chapstick

What else would you add to the list?

Just another idea. Save your food packages like cereal and cracker boxes, tape them back up, and get a set of play money. There's some out there that looks fairly real including bills and coins.

That is what we did. I cleared off some low shelves in the walk-in closet and set up a shop, with prices written on little round stickers. She even has a cash register and a shopping cart. We added a little inexpensive scale for her to weigh plastic fruits and veggies. It is a lot of fun and highly effective!

Another thing that was hugely effective. I started carrying a small amount of cash to use when she was with me. When the cashier gives me the change, if she counts the coins correctly she gets to keep it:). In the beginning we let her spend it at the dollar store once per month after adding it all up, but now she prefers to save it for trips and larger items. She has gotten so good at the game that she tries to 'beat the clerk' by figuring out how much change she will get before they hand it back:)

Kids her age will be happy playing store and "buying" the same things over and over again. I would not worry about getting new things for her to buy and then use. You can set up a store with toys she already has. If you can, I would use real money over play money, because play coins and bills do not look exactly like the real stuff. That can cause some young kids confusion.

Not sure if you're meaning as a game (she gets the money back and gets to re-buy items?) or as a permanent-ownership thing.

In our house (this is slightly off-topic, but seemed relative), my kids "buy" privileges with their earned star-stickers (not exactly cash, but different values for things). They can "buy" . . .

outing with their grammy

choosing the family meal for a night

pick from mom's treasure box

stay up really late / or sleep in guest room

special privileges (using the jets on the tub, computer turn, etc.)

I know you're working on math, but - realistically, lots of real spending goes toward non-tangible services / privileges.

I just saw this on the internet somewhere and thought it was a good idea.

They cut ads out... strawberries, milk, etc.. and laminated them.  The child looked at the pictures and decided what he was going to buy and added it up.

I'm thinking I'm going to try this.  I like that I can easily change / add what is for sale.