Menu

When do you switch from Spelling to Vocabulary?

My DD12 is an upcoming 6th grader. My lineup so far is:

Heart of Dakota CTC (History, Science, & DITHOR)

R&S English 5

Math will be either TT6 or Saxon (taking the placement test now)

I'm not sure if I need a formal writing curriculum. I'm thinking she will get enough already with her other subjects for now.

I'm wondering if I should be using a Spelling curriclum (she is a natural speller) or Vocabulary this year. Either way, what would you suggest for Spelling or Vocabulary at this age?

What we do is alternate a day of spelling with a day of vocab so each is done every other day, then when my son finishes Spelling Power (he's on K now), we will just be done with spelling and only do vocab.  Spelling Power goes from age 8 to adult all in one book and once the student completes it then they should be able to spell something like 92% of words in English if I'm remembering correctly. 

My oldest did spelling until she finished the Spelling Power book, then switched to spelling bee prep with the Hexco Academic materials. I would've let her drop spelling as a subject at this point if she wasn't interested in competing in bees.

My DS did All About Spelling 1-5 but I'm planning on switching him to the free Glencoe Spelling Power workbooks this fall.

Dropped spelling for oldest when I brought her home for 6th. Will drop it for youngers in 5th. I reinforce in writing with oldest, but she has figured out if she's not sure then look it up so it's seldom I need to correct her. Vocab starts in 4th so there is a little overlap.

My DD12 is an upcoming 6th grader. My lineup so far is:

Heart of Dakota CTC (History, Science, & DITHOR)

R&S English 5

Math will be either TT6 or Saxon (taking the placement test now)

I'm not sure if I need a formal writing curriculum. I'm thinking she will get enough already with her other subjects for now.

I'm wondering if I should be using a Spelling curriclum (she is a natural speller) or Vocabulary this year. Either way, what would you suggest for Spelling or Vocabulary at this age?

You're using R&S for English. You do NOT need to add anything for writing. :-)

I wouldn't bother with spelling. You could add vocabulary. I like Wordly Wise.

While I do think that 6th/ 7th seems to be the first year that many of the schools here drop spelling, whether you drop it should depend on your dd.

My middle ds did spelling through grade nine. He finally began to spell well in grades 6 and 7. In grades 8 and 9, phonics finally made sense. He used Apples, Daily Spelling Drills for Secondary Students in grades 8 and 9. However, he also used Vocabulary for Enjoyment those two years. This isn't a homeschool decision I would change if I could go back and have a do-over. However, current rising sixth grader will be doing vocabulary and not spelling this year. My oldest did used Spelling Workout and Wordly Wise in grades 6 and 7.

If you have any concern whatsoever about her spelling, do it for another year. If you don't, then drop it.

HTH-

Mandy