Menu

Cholesterol Chaos...

Lucy

OK, help me out here.  I got my bloodwork results back and most of my numbers look good (102 total, HDL 29,)... except my LDL is -2.  Negative?  Is that even possible?  And then my Triglycerides are 376.  What?  Do you think the whole test is wrong or am I doomed?

I'd want to re-test.

I agree. The numbers don't make sense.

If the HDL and triglycerides are accurate, though, those are significantly problematic numbers. I've never heard of total cholesterol near 100 though, so maybe the HDL is proportional somehow. The trigylercide number is very high any way you spin it... if it is accurate.

LDL cholesterol is not measured directly, it is calculated by dividing your triglycerides by five and subtracting the result plus the HDL number from your total cholesterol number. Triglycerides were high and total cholesterol was low, so the calculation yielded a negative result. Talk to your Dr. about the results.

blood sugar was normal.  doc said she wants me to lose weight.  it's the pat answer.  they said that about my hubby once and he's a walking stick.  I do have 10 pounds to lose, so I guess it's time to try!  I just called in for a retest in a few months - great idea!  thanks ladies!