Menu

How/where would you go about selling good china?

Not the country. :lol: I have about 10 place setting of good china, given to us as wedding gifts oh some 13 years ago. They have never.been.used. Just sitting in boxes in our basement. Beautiful. I want to sell it. We've only used 2 of the settings...once...about 12 years ago. So, where would you sell something like this? Ebay? Classifieds? We're having a huge yard sale in a few weeks. Should I put a place setting out and try to sell it there? I don't want to give this away...it is a NICE set. Any suggestions? Thanks.

My mom and I both have bought full sets of china off of ebay. This was about 7 years ago and that's what all our "china-collecting" friends were doing. I don't know if it's as popular now. We also go to replacements to buy, but for the bulk, we'd hit ebay.

Do you know the name of the pattern?

Just another thought - if it's something like Haviland Limoges, definitely go with ebay - those are worth a lot and in high demand. If it's just a normal department store pattern, you won't fetch as much money and it probably doesn't matter as much where you sell it.

Why don't you use it?

For years we never used our china because it was 'special'. About 3 years ago I got out 4 of the dinner plates and added them to our pile of normal plates. It gives me a little lift every time I use one, and I really enjoy it. After all, isn't that what it's for?

My guess is that I wouldn't get that much for it on Ebay, especially considering the time to list it, complete the transaction, and package and ship it. So I figure that I might as well use it.

We sold our unused wedding china on Ebay last year and received quite a bit for it. (Turns out the pattern was discontinued... people were asking if I had any more.) I contacted Replacements, Ltd, but was scared away by their seemingly burdensome packaging instructions. It was going to cost me so much in postage and packing materials, it wasn't worth selling to them when all was said and done.

I highly recommend Ebay.

Seems like Ebay it is. The pattern is Noritake Rothschild...very pretty cream colored background w/ pink/blue floral pattern around. I hate to part w/ it, but if I can get $350 or more for all 10 settings together...it's worth it to sell. $350 in my pocket is better than 10 place settings sitting in boxes in my basement. As for not using them....with my children....they would be broken in days. My dc do the dishes at least once per day and I'd hate to risk breaking them. We're just not formal people and since we are trying so hard to get out of debt and save our emerg. fund (ala Dave RAmsey), selling the china is a must. Thanks for the ideas!

I sold what we had (only 2 settings) on Ebay. We just weren't using them either. I took it to one of those shipping places first to find out how much they would charge me for packaging & shipping it--I wanted it done well & no breakage. So I figured that into my shipping costs when I priced it out. Got there fine, customer was happy & so was I.

Merry :-)

This is a great post...I too have China....never used and silver that I had from my first marriage....We never used it....I wouldn't even want to use it with this marriage and I don't have any intention of replacing it with anything else.....

Thank you for posting this....I guess I will got check out Wedgewood prices on ebay and maybe get it listed......

Alison

Seems like Ebay it is. The pattern is Noritake Rothschild...very pretty cream colored background w/ pink/blue floral pattern around. I hate to part w/ it, but if I can get $350 or more for all 10 settings together...it's worth it to sell. $350 in my pocket is better than 10 place settings sitting in boxes in my basement. As for not using them....with my children....they would be broken in days. My dc do the dishes at least once per day and I'd hate to risk breaking them. We're just not formal people and since we are trying so hard to get out of debt and save our emerg. fund (ala Dave RAmsey), selling the china is a must. Thanks for the ideas!

You might save a cup/saucer for each child. They might appreciated this when they are older.

Now if you had Noritake High Sails, I'd just be sending you a check.