Menu

Real Estate Laws

Tangerine

I figure it's worth a shot!  The hive knows all.

We bought our house 3 years ago.  We bought it from a man who rehabbed it, or really from his company.  Almost from the beginning, we have gotten water in the basement to varying levels of severity.  I just kind of figured we must be having really bad luck.  On account of I'm naive I guess.  I never really thought this guy sat across from the table from us, signed the "I am not aware of any water problems in the basement/crawlspace", and sold this holey sponge of a house to a veteran and an enormously pregnant woman buying their first house.  Turns out he did.  Our neighbor eventually told us that while he was rehabbing the house, he put wood floor in the basement, and then tore it out TWICE due to flooding.  After our last severe flooding, we have more evidence that he had cut out and repaired drywall in the basement, pulled out insulation without replacing it, and put the baseboards back up and slapped a coat of paint on it.  

I know the statue of limitations on the real estate disclosure is one year.  Do we have any recourse?  Fraud?  Lying on a contract?  Something?  Our basement is now a disaster, we have to turn around and disclose when we sell the house, and we have to fix the problem.  I feel like a moron.

(We did, by the way, have an inspection and all that jazz.  It's just not something they would have seen until we had to cut into the walls to repair the damage.)

I figure it's worth a shot!  The hive knows all.

We bought our house 3 years ago.  We bought it from a man who rehabbed it, or really from his company.  Almost from the beginning, we have gotten water in the basement to varying levels of severity.  I just kind of figured we must be having really bad luck.  On account of I'm naive I guess.  I never really thought this guy sat across from the table from us, signed the "I am not aware of any water problems in the basement/crawlspace", and sold this holey sponge of a house to a veteran and an enormously pregnant woman buying their first house.  Turns out he did.  Our neighbor eventually told us that while he was rehabbing the house, he put wood floor in the basement, and then tore it out TWICE due to flooding.  After our last severe flooding, we have more evidence that he had cut out and repaired drywall in the basement, pulled out insulation without replacing it, and put the baseboards back up and slapped a coat of paint on it.  

I know the statue of limitations on the real estate disclosure is one year.  Do we have any recourse?  Fraud?  Lying on a contract?  Something?  Our basement is now a disaster, we have to turn around and disclose when we sell the house, and we have to fix the problem.  I feel like a moron.

(We did, by the way, have an inspection and all that jazz.  It's just not something they would have seen until we had to cut into the walls to repair the damage.)

Before you pursue make really sure that what you're seeing now is from prior water damage and not just because of the neighbor's testimony.  I found out after we moved that our previous neighbor, who was a good friend of ours at the time, told the new owner's of our house that a sunroof in one of our rooms had always leaked and that we were always having trouble with it.  Ummm . .. no, it had never leaked for us as evidenced by the fact that my desktop computer sat right underneath it for the whole time we lived in the house.    I'm not sure what prompted her to tell them this story and I never had any more inquiries about it but it was totally made up by the neighbor's imagination.

So, maybe the floor had been replaced twice and maybe not, I wouldn't assume just based upon the neighbor's testimony that that is what happened but if you have other evidence, then I would pursue what you can do based on your state law.