Menu

How does this look for 9th grade?

This is my first time homeschooling high school, and I want to make sure we're starting off on the right foot. How does this look?

One credit each:

Geometry-online with Jann in TX (I am sooooo excited about this!!)

History-Early Modern the WTM way with the Tindall spine and Western Civ by Spielvogel

Great Books-I have picked out 12 books from the lists from the WTM Early Modern list but I am slightly concerned that it's too many.

We will round out the English credit with WWS 3 and Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Biology-Science Shepherd Biology

French-Breaking the Barrier French 1

Electives:

Government-selections from Holt Government text (0.5 credit)

Bible-The Bible and Its Influence (0.5 credit)

Art History-this will coincide with our history studies and probably amount to 0.25 credit

PE/Health-I'm not sure how this will work out. She takes horseback riding lessons and plays soccer. I have some ideas for the health aspect, but that will probably be the first thing to be dropped if things get too heavy.

Thoughts? Advice? I'm especially interested in what you all think about the number of Great Books I have planned.

Thanks in advance!!!

This is my first time homeschooling high school, and I want to make sure we're starting off on the right foot. How does this look?

One credit each:

Geometry-online with Jann in TX (I am sooooo excited about this!!)

History-Early Modern the WTM way with the Tindall spine and Western Civ by Spielvogel

Great Books-I have picked out 12 books from the lists from the WTM Early Modern list but I am slightly concerned that it's too many.

We will round out the English credit with WWS 3 and Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Biology-Science Shepherd Biology

French-Breaking the Barrier French 1

Electives:

Government-selections from Holt Government text (0.5 credit)

Bible-The Bible and Its Influence (0.5 credit)

Art History-this will coincide with our history studies and probably amount to 0.25 credit

PE/Health-I'm not sure how this will work out. She takes horseback riding lessons and plays soccer. I have some ideas for the health aspect, but that will probably be the first thing to be dropped if things get too heavy.

Thoughts? Advice? I'm especially interested in what you all think about the number of Great Books I have planned.

Thanks in advance!!!

I think it looks awesome. 

The question of books would depend on which Great Books you have picked.  War and Peace reads differently than Animal Farm.  Uncle Tom's Cabin is longer than Red Badge of Courage.  But it isn't necessarily a problem to do 12 books.  Depends on the which books and what your kid is like.

Looks beefy. What a great lineup!

I usually shoot for 12-14 "units" in a year for literature. That's mostly novels with some short stories or essays thrown in. I sprinkle poetry through the year and call that one unit as well. For the novels, I shoot for 75-125 pages of reading per week depending upon the complexity of the work. Some weeks there will be no reading, but on those weeks I require a bigger, longer paper.

If you want to post your titles, I am happy to comment. :)

Thank you!

Here are the titles I'm planning on for lit (it's only 11 now that I see it):

The Pilgrim's Progress
Gulliver's Travels
The Social Contract by Rousseau
Common Sense
The Autobiography by Franklin
Pride and Prejudice
Frankenstein
Self-Reliance by Emerson
Jane Eyre
The Scarlet Letter
Poetry by Keats, Poe, Tennyson (one unit)

We'll also look at a couple of speeches and source documents such as The Declaration.

I had Don Quixote, The Federalist Papers, and Oliver Twist on the list, but I cut those yesterday. We will probably still look at parts of The Federalist Papers.

The Pilgrim's Progress - this isn't super long, but I find it a very slow read; I'm going to content myself with background and excerpts. 

Gulliver's Travels - I know you're not trying to add to the list, lol, but Swift's A Modest Proposal is really not be missed, and it's quite short. 

The Social Contract by Rousseau - Rather than reading this in its entirety, I would consider excerpts from this along with other writers with differing views on the social contract (Locke, Hobbes, etc). Locke in particular is important, having had a direct influence on the Declaration of Independence. 

Common Sense - great choice, both important and short  :laugh:

The Autobiography by Franklin - I guess I need to read this before my WTM card is revoked 

Pride and Prejudice - yep 

Frankenstein - this is one where I might consider working backwards, referencing the many modern references and perhaps watching the iconic 1931 movie before reading the book; so many ideas and allusions are related to this book that I would make sure I don't shortchange the discussion. 

Self-Reliance by Emerson - ah, the transcendentalists, I love them so! Don't skimp on background info here; imo, this should not be read without an awareness that Emerson, never poor, was quite wealthy from an inheritance when he wrote it. Thoreau built his cabin on land Emerson owned; sucking the marrow from life is always easier when your friends own great tracts of land and scenic ponds. This by no means negates their writing, but sets up some interesting discussions. If you can, read a bit about Bronson Alcott (Louisia May's dad); also a well known member of the movement, he was born poor and stayed that way, and was self-educated (both Emerson and Thoreau went to Harvard). 

Jane Eyre - yep 

The Scarlet Letter - I should probably read this one again myself; I skimmed it in high school  :o

Poetry by Keats, Poe, Tennyson (one unit) - yep 

We'll also look at a couple of speeches and source documents such as The Declaration. - yep 

I had Don Quixote, The Federalist Papers, and Oliver Twist on the list, but I cut those yesterday. We will probably still look at parts of The Federalist Papers. - I would probably add back in background and an excerpt from Don Quixote, simply because it is so important culturally. But an excerpt is more than enough! 

I agree with Katliac.

Will add--I LOVE Jane Eyre and think you should keep it. The best and most accurate version to watch is the PBS one starring Timothy Dalton.

Also re Oliver Twist--If you wanted to add it or even consider it for summer reading, this is not a difficult book at all. It's not his most skillful book either. It can be an interesting contrast to read this one, and then read A Tale of Two Cities. The latter is one of his finest works, so it's interesting to see the growth in Dickens as a writer. BBC has several Dickens' productions that are pretty true to the text that are fun to watch as well.