Menu

Has anyone ever made a poetry journal?

I'm not sure if journal is what I mean. Something for them to write or cut/paste the poems they are assigned throughout the year and doodle or scrapbook in too. I really am not sure where I'm going with this but while I'm listing materials needed for the fall I thought about the notebooks for each subject and thought that it might be nice to have a special way to record the poetry from this year. Has anyone done something like this? Ideas or tips? TIA!

I have done pocket poems.  Poems that can be printed to card stock, accordion folded, and stuffed in purses, pockets, and bags.  They all get placed in a refurbished oatmeal box.  For a journal of any sort here, we use composition notebooks and "smash" in them.  Scientists, composers, artists, etc. - We just doodle, copy, draw, and paste throughout the pages.  I would take a very informal approach such as this.  It makes one really neat book by the end of the year.

We have. I bought nice journals and had them copy their favorites in cursive. It wasn't that popular here. 

This year we're planning to do our own versions of this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Country-Diary-Edwardian-Lady/dp/1586631152

We've read the book, studied many poems and poets over the years, and work always in nature journals. I think it's time to bring it all together. :)

I can't wait to try this approach to poetry!

If you google images of the book, you can see how it incorporates poetry. 

hth

:lurk5:

We have a Family Poetry Journal, which works better with my ages. We copy in our favorite poems (I insist once a month, but they are allowed more) and they often illustrate. My old rest can copy his own if they are short enough. I copy for DS5 and for DS6 if its too long.

We use a three ring binder and computer paper. I dream of an upgrade but at the same time, I like that I can reorganize eventually when it gets longer.

We started poetry journals this year.  Each child picked out their own moleskin journal.  Once a week, I pull out all of our poetry books and each child picks out a poem that speaks to them.   They copy them out in their best handwriting (at least that is the intention.)  This has worked out very well.  I have been pleasantly surprised at the poems they have chosen to copy,  especially my ds, who isn't much of a poetry guy. 

I really like the idea of bringing the poetry and nature journals together. Although ours were quite simple last year, just getting them use to doing it on a weekly basis it would be fun to take it in a different direction this year maybe with nice journals and combining it with a nature journal as well.

I love all the ideas! Prariegirl and helena my kids are young so I think the copying them into the journal would be a joy killer. Maybe copying a favorite phrase? Plum Crazy we practiced Poetry Tea Time this year and enjoyed it. I did all the reading though. So this year each will have a poet per term and a poem a day from that poet. During tea time I thought they could share their favorite poem for the week and "smash" in a composition book as ChrissySC suggested (or in this from Miller's Pad and Paper: http://www.millerpadsandpaper.com/Create-A-Cover-Sketchbook-485.htm). I think I'll maintain the family journal. Thanks for that idea Coco_Clark.