Menu

Anything wrong with Living Books Curriculum?

sagira

I read lots and lots on WinterPromise, Tapestry of Grace, Sonlight, etc. but nobody seems to mention Living Books Curriculum. Anybody use it? Like it? Don't like it? Why or why not?

Dubbed as the only true Charlotte Mason in a box, it may be just what we could use if I have a year I need the children to be more independent.

:bigear:

I haven't used it but I've looked at it a lot. I think it looks great, but the one thing that stops me is how grade level dependent it is. The LA is tied into it with the schedule and package, so what if your child is working on a different LA level? I like the way World history and US history are studied at the same time, but what if your child hasn't studied Ancient Egypt yet but is beyond the grade 2 package?

nak

Oh, so that['s the problem. I was wondering why not more people were mentioning it. I only have two children, and I didn't think about the grade issue. I can see why that can be an impediment to many.

Thanks!

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Living Books Curriculum!

It is just not as well known as TOG, Sonlight, WP...

It is a true CM in a box.

There is a forum but it is not that active.

It would depend on the ages of your children whether they could work through it independently or not.

I used Grades one and two last year. We loved it. I am using a modified Grade Three this coming year (along with HOD).

I am unique in that I have six children ages 8 and under. This causes challenges no matter what program I use... there are a few reasons why I am not using only LBC this year- but they have nothing to do with the quality of the program.

I highly recommend it!

Sheila Carroll is wonderful.

I like(d) it because:

the high quality of literature

no twaddle

the incorporation of nature study, music, picture study, etc.

they honor the child as a person

the thought that has been put into the development of the program.

The strong science component

Christian worldview

The two threads of history

The articles included in the teacher's guide

The extensive book list

As far as what if your child hasn't studied ancient egypt but is beyond grade two- you would just jump in at the level your child is at... all of history will be revisited in grades 7 and 8 as an overview... however each year DOES build on the next... so that is a consideration.

I hope this helps.

I am selling a new foundation year guide and a new, revised grade one on the sale board.

Rebecca