Menu

Hash Brown Casserole Recipe?

Farrar

Anyone have one they like?  Preferably not involving condensed soup.  I promised my mother a crazy awesome brunch for her birthday and apparently this is one of the dishes she'd really like.  But I've never been a huge fan so I don't have a recipe.  I just wanted to make really good home fries or breakfast potatoes.

I make a quick homemade version of the cream of soup: 2 TB butter, 2 TB flour to make a roux, then stir in 1 cup chicken broth and 1 cup milk while whisking. If you heat the broth and milk first (zap in microwave in the glass measuring cup for a minute), it thickens more quickly.

Use that plus

16 oz sour cream

2 TB melted butter

4 oz shredded cheese (mix of sharp cheddar and Dubliner is good)

1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion

32 oz Southern Style hash brown potatoes, thawed

Salt and pepper

Mix and bake at 350 until bubbly. Top with more shredded cheese if you like it cheesy. I mix it up and refrigerate overnight, then bake in the morning. My family likes it for Christmas morning brunch.

Trader Joe's has a condensed cream of portobello mushroom soup that doesn't have weird ingredients. WF also stocks some (probably the same manufacturer) and has gluten free versions. I haven't checked WF but was just talking about Cream of Whatever soups with a friend who has celiac and makes a broccoli casserole for her FIL with the gluten free versions. I think it's Pacific brand?

I like this version from Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I usually add more sour cream and top with Ritz-type crackers mixed with butter. You can make it ahead of time (probably up to two days ahead)--just don't add the topping until you bake. It's one of my all-time favorite comfort foods (love it way more than home fries), so I can see why your mom would consider it part of a crazy awesome breakfast. :)