Menu

PSA for rising seniors - University of Alabama application is open

Hoggirl

I just wanted to throw out that the application for the University of Alabama opened on July 1st. Bama gives quite generous scholarships to OOS applicants and the criteria are laid out in a very straight-forward way. You can see them here: http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out_of_state.html

The amount awarded will be even higher if your dc is National Merit. This was one of ds's first acceptances - came in August, I believe - and it was so nice to receive a letter with that BIG scholarship amount on it. It's an easy, straight-forward application.

As they say on College Confidential - "Love Thy Safety." I couldn't agree more. Ds actually had three safeties last year (I think having two is important so that students always get to make a choice). I truly believe getting your child to love a safety FIRST is so important if the more reachy schools don't work out either because of not gaining admission or because of finances. Just my free, unsolicited advice.

I just wanted to throw out that the application for the University of Alabama opened on July 1st. Bama gives quite generous scholarships to OOS applicants and the criteria are laid out in a very straight-forward way. You can see them here: http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out_of_state.html

The amount awarded will be even higher if your dc is National Merit. This was one of ds's first acceptances - came in August, I believe - and it was so nice to receive a letter with that BIG scholarship amount on it. It's an easy, straight-forward application.

As they say on College Confidential - "Love Thy Safety." I couldn't agree more. Ds actually had three safeties last year (I think having two is important so that students always get to make a choice). I truly believe getting your child to love a safety FIRST is so important if the more reachy schools don't work out either because of not gaining admission or because of finances. Just my free, unsolicited advice.

I recently heard the suggestion that part of being a safety ought include being quick on sending acceptances to qualified students. The observation was that being accepted somewhere took a lot of the anxiety out of the situation.

I hadn't heard this piece of advice before and found it interesting.

This is something we hadn't done, and in hindsight, it would made for a less stressful March.  Can't beat that the scholarship is guaranteed just based on scores and GPA.   Also saw they have a water slide and a lazy river!  Encouraging all who will be applying to colleges this year to apply to at least one or tow of these safeties and then the waitlisting and denials won't be so bad.  lol   Thankfully dd had some great acceptances, but this step should not have been skipped.  I had assumed that even UA with the full tuition scholarship would be too expensive as we'd need to pay room and board, but have since learned that there are other departmental scholarships available.

Their $2500/ yr engineering scholarship is also automatic. The UFE and CBH honors programs award scholarships to some students. And as Teachin Mine pointed out, they also have dept scholarships. UA allows scholarships to stack.

Louisiana Tech , UAHuntsville, and Ole Miss are a few other high merit aid schools.