Menu

silly putty

Kate in Arabia

My kids have Ramadan calenders where they get little gifts each day, today's gift was silly putty that I had gotten in the States.  I had real trouble finding comics that it would work on -- I think they were starting to think I was "misremembering." I guess back in my day it was the easiest thing in the world, but we tried the comics in our local paper and a comic book we had gotten from India, no dice.  I actually looked up on the internet to make sure we were "doing it right" -- silly putty!  lol

Finally, I dug through the boys bookshelves for an old comic book I had gotten in the States to tie into our history studies -- printed in 1946.  That worked!

But now I'm wondering if the joy of silly putty has been lost to improvements in newsprint?  Other than making it into a wicked bouncy ball or digging up really old comic books, what else "works" for silly putty?

It does NOT make good earplugs...

One of my earliest memories was being rushed to the ER--- I think I was around 3 yrs old...  I had found a Silly Putty egg and decided to make some earplugs with it (we had been somewhere as a family where we used earplugs so they were familiar to me).

The putty became a 'goo' due to my body heat.  The ER Dr did his best then the next morning and ENT partially sedated me and finished the job.  Silly Putty was banned from the house until I (the youngest) was around 10 yrs old.

I kept it away from my kids until they were older as well....