Menu

Anyone have a Malti-poo?

wonderchica

My mom does.  It is ummmm, lets say.....not to bright.  It never learned to control its bladder.  If he gets the least bit excited, he wets himself, or on the unsuspecting person's (who maybe just walked in the door) shoes.  ....and he barks constantly, for no apparent reason.  Just randomly barks.at nothing. 

He is registered and I know she paid a few hundred for him, but I have always wondered if he was inbred and if that was the reason for his intelligence issues. He is somewhere between 5-10 years old and still acts like a young untrained puppy.  

He is cute little guy, super soft, and loving.....just don't get him excited if he is on your lap!

It's really hard to talk about mixed breeds in a meaningful way.  I don't mean that negatively, just that there's such a wide degree of traits and health issues they can inherit from either side.  I think the best you can do is look at the best and worst of both breeds and assume you'll get something somewhere in between.

My mom does.  It is ummmm, lets say.....not to bright.  It never learned to control its bladder.  If he gets the least bit excited, he wets himself, or on the unsuspecting person's (who maybe just walked in the door) shoes.  ....and he barks constantly, for no apparent reason.  Just randomly barks.at nothing. 

He is registered and I know she paid a few hundred for him, but I have always wondered if he was inbred and if that was the reason for his intelligence issues. He is somewhere between 5-10 years old and still acts like a young untrained puppy.  

He is cute little guy, super soft, and loving.....just don't get him excited if he is on your lap!

There's no legitimate registration organization for mixed breed dogs.  Any "registration" such a dog has is from a sham organization created by puppy millers.

I think it can be hard to generalize about type of dog, purebred or not lol. Just like kids, there's always going to be one that "breaks the mold". Yes Sadie, a Maltese/poodle mix. From what I've read, they end up in the 10 pound range, usually a bit less?

I think it can be hard to generalize about type of dog, purebred or not lol. Just like kids, there's always going to be one that "breaks the mold". Yes Sadie, a Maltese/poodle mix. From what I've read, they end up in the 10 pound range, usually a bit less?

Absolutely!  It is difficult to generalize about purebreds.  And the gene pool for purebreds is much more narrow (there's a better word for that, but I can't think of it right now) than it is when you're dealing with the gene pool for two (or more) breeds.  And that's why I say it's *really* hard to generalize about mixed breeds.

It's really hard to talk about mixed breeds in a meaningful way.  I don't mean that negatively, just that there's such a wide degree of traits and health issues they can inherit from either side.  I think the best you can do is look at the best and worst of both breeds and assume you'll get something somewhere in between.

There's no legitimate registration organization for mixed breed dogs.  Any "registration" such a dog has is from a sham organization created by puppy millers.

Sorry, you are right.  The parents were registered. 

We had two purebred Maltese at once point.  One was very fearful and shy and sweet.  The other was bold and didn't seem to care about pleasing us.  Neither one was able to be housebroken.  The breed has this reputation. They were males.  They were not very "street smart", meaning that they had no common sense.  They would try to attack dogs much larger than them and if they got out, ran willy nilly into the street.  These are lap dogs dependent on people 100%, obviously.  They were a bad fit for our family, and we rehomed them to a family who knew the breed well and had them in the past.  I think they take a certain type of family.

We now have a Great Pyrenees, the exact opposite of the Maltese, and we love her.  She is a great fit for our family.  :)

Ok, I have to put my plug in for malti-poos.  We have one and she is one of the best dogs we have ever owned!  She is 7 years old, extremely intelligent, was housebroken almost right away (we got her as a young puppy).  She is a sweetheart, sleeps with us each night, a good watchdog, my little shadow-I just love her.  Her parents were both malti-poos, so I guess that would make her a 2nd generation one, not sure.  She weighs 9 pounds, very healthy, no problems whatsoever. 

We have one and I think she's pretty smart too. She's around 3 or 4. Whenever she wants to be fed she picks up her food dish and sets it down in front of me. And when she wants up somewhere (she's tiny, around 9ish pounds too and can't jump very high) she barks and then looks at me and then where she wants to go. Plus when you lean down to pick her up she jumps into your hands. Maybe I have low standards but my dogs before haven't been like that.

She also barks very loudly whenever someone rings the door and then goes and hides. And she stashes everything. 

I have no clue about what they cost because we rescued her.