Menu

Printers: recommendations, please :)

I'm in need of a printer and could use some recommendations. The main problem in our household is we don't use it a lot. We go through spurts and then it sits. With the printer we had in the distant past, the ink would dry up by the time we got around to using it a second time : /

If you have one you like that is a combo of sorts, I'm all ears! We don't have a scanner on our computer ( laptop) so that might be a good investment as well.

Any ideas?? :)

I just bought a Canon multifunction -- this one: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MX922-Wireless-Printer-Scanner/dp/B00AVWKUJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403997842&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+multifunction+all-in-one+printer -- and I really, really like it. It was the least expensive with the best reviews that had all the features I really wanted (wireless printing, multifunction, auto double side printing, auto document feeder for scanning and copying), and my previous Canon multifunction printer lasted eight years and was a good machine, so I went with another Canon.

I didn't necessarily need it to do photos, but it happens to have two trays for paper, one of which is made to hold smaller photo sheets, and it's done a good job on the couple of photos I've printed thus far.

I can't really comment on how much ink it uses yet, since I've only had it a couple of weeks. I burned through the setup tanks it came with, but this is my busiest printing season, with getting ready for the next school year (I've been through more than a ream of paper in the last two weeks, I think). But normally I don't print more than a few pages at a time.

For laser printer I recommend a brother...inkjet I recommend canon pixma

I use the brother for all b/w printing and the canon for excellent pictures. I find ink/toner for both extremely inexpensive on ebay. It's generic ink so to speak, but I've never had any trouble with it and don't kind printing or letting my kids make copies of stuff if they want to.

I just bought a Canon multifunction -- this one: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MX922-Wireless-Printer-Scanner/dp/B00AVWKUJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403997842&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+multifunction+all-in-one+printer -- and I really, really like it. It was the least expensive with the best reviews that had all the features I really wanted (wireless printing, multifunction, auto double side printing, auto document feeder for scanning and copying), and my previous Canon multifunction printer lasted eight years and was a good machine, so I went with another Canon.

I didn't necessarily need it to do photos, but it happens to have two trays for paper, one of which is made to hold smaller photo sheets, and it's done a good job on the couple of photos I've printed thus far.

I can't really comment on how much ink it uses yet, since I've only had it a couple of weeks. I burned through the setup tanks it came with, but this is my busiest printing season, with getting ready for the next school year (I've been through more than a ream of paper in the last two weeks, I think). But normally I don't print more than a few pages at a time.

I just got that model to replace an MX 882 or something like that. Almost identical, except uses different ink cartridges, grrrr.

For laser printer I recommend a brother...inkjet I recommend canon pixma

I use the brother for all b/w printing and the canon for excellent pictures. I find ink/toner for both extremely inexpensive on ebay. It's generic ink so to speak, but I've never had any trouble with it and don't kind printing or letting my kids make copies of stuff if they want to.

We have a Briother and a Pixma too. I would love to know more about your ink. What do you look for in budget ink?

I"m very happy with my Canon Pixma. I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MG2220-Printer-Scanner-Copier/dp/B008FYGKA2/ref=sr_1_30?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1404066920&sr=1-30&keywords=canon+pixma

And I love it! I had HPs for two printers in a row before this one and hated them both, so the Canon is a refreshing change. Paper never jams, the ink lasts a long time. I printed out 2 full years of Math Mammoth this past year along with a lot of other school printing and I printed out about 50 pages a week for my work as well. I think I went through 3-4 black ink cartridges and 2 color all year. 

I think you need to decide if you really need color or just black and white.  I've been very happy with my Brother black and white laser.  It's a little frustrating sometimes not having color, but never having ink jam or dry up, and not having to pay for super expensive ink is a huge plus.

Seconding B&W laser.  I've had my Samsung for 3 years.  A cartridge costs about $15-$50--if I get generic, it doesn't last as long.  But still, with moderate to heavy printing, I only go thru one cartridge every 4-6 months.

I used to have an all-in-one color inkejet and scanner and it actually got very annoying--it was enormous, and I hated changing out the separate color cartridges.  I got a cheap scanner (like $30) that is just a flat thing and I can slide it under my bed and just pull it out to use it :)

My printer is a Samsung ML 1665--it was about $50 on black friday one year, but there are similar ones on Amazon for less than $100.  And the scanner is a Canon Lide 110--I keep it in a plastic sweater box under my bed and just slide it out when I need it :)

Betsy

We have a Briother and a Pixma too. I would love to know more about your ink. What do you look for in budget ink?

My brother only came with a starter cartridge...didn't get very far with it. LOL! But my dad has the same brother laser printer and we shared a 2 pack full-size toner cartridge replacement. We each paid $12.50 and that included shipping. Considering that each full-size toner refill will print thousands of pages that's a bargain! My dad actually found the deal, but basically he searched for toner refill brother printer (it's an HL-2280W) to find it.

Same with the Canon--it's an MX922--just search for replacement ink using the model number. Last time I purchased for my old Canon which died after 3 long and useful years the ink cost me $9 for 3 black cartridges (including shipping). The MX922 ink is a tad more expensive but not too much.

One thing to keep in mind is that the less expensive inks on ebay are not manufacturer brand inks--they are generics. Some people say they aren't good for your machines, but I've not had a problem. And the cost of ink is so much cheaper, especially for printing pictures. My Canon has AirPrint capabilities, so I don't feel bad at all if my kids print pictures whenever they want. Now photo paper...that's another conversation! But I do try to buy it on sale at least half off at Staples--and that's when I stock up. And for the Brother laser, I don't feel badly at all when I need to print a 100 page ebook--especially when I use the duplex feature. It's fast and I come back a few minutes later and the entire document is printed.

Well, not at all help to you for buying a new printer ;), BUT… 

I just have to put in a massive plug for the HP 4 Laser Printer (B&W). Ours is over 20 years old, and still going strong. It is a workhorse of a printer and has easily handled probably close to 50,000 printed pages over its life time. Yes, we have run through several toner cartridges. And about 2 years ago, DH had to gently use an emory board on the rollers to give them more "grip" because they were starting to slip. Other than that, we've never had any problems with it, and I will be so sad the day it dies...

I just broke down and bought a new printer because the Canon Pixma printer we had was killing us in ink costs. Ink for the Pixma was $59 for one black cartridge and one color cartridge and they would only print out about 300 pages before they were empty and needed replacing again. I tried the cheap cartridges but they would not work in my printer.

I wound up getting a HP 8600 Office Jet Pro, after a lot of research. I originally was going to go with a B&W Brother Laser printer, but I really hated giving up the ability to print in color if I wanted to. The HP has individual color and black/white cartridges, so it has 4 total cartridges, but they last a while. The XL cartridges print 1500 color pages and 2300 b/w pages before they need replaced. That rivals some laser printers, but it is a lot cheaper than any color laser I could find. From all the reviews, the cartridges cost around $40 for generic cartridges that actually work in the printer, or right around $90 for HP brand cartridges, which is also around the price of a toner replacement for a laser printer. It also has a scanner and copier and does automatic duplexing so you can print 2 sided items without having to manually turn the pages over. I can also print directly from my phone or any computer anywhere by emailing it directly to my printer.

We have had it about a month and I love it! I have been printing out a lot of the Scholastic ebooks that I bought during their dollar sales and still have over half of the sample cartridges left.