Menu

Stupid question about vocab and spelling

OnTheBrink

I used R&S spelling (through 5-6th grade--depends on the student) and then move into vocabulary studies. R&S 7th and 8th grade spelling books are much more like vocabulary books (complete with root studies) than spelling books. However, by jr/sr. high, we appreciate the ease of worktexts so do not follow R&S into those years. The program I like best for ease of use and worthwhile activities is the Wordly Wise 3000 series. Wordly Wise is very easy to divide into daily exercises. (eg., Day 1: Ex A and write list of words; Day 2: Ex. B&C, Day 3: Ex. D&E, Day 4: Test).

A close second is the Vocab for High Schoolers series (this includes Vocab for the College-Bound and Joy of Vocabulary). This second workbook series is very good, but it is not as easy to divvy up the work into daily assignments. Some of my children can do that well on their own and some can't. If I had more time, I *could* sit down and figure out a schedule of completion, but for now, I opt for Wordly Wise....

Vicki in MNE

Mom to 5 (2 in college).

Around 6th or 7th grade, you can ditch spelling, and do vocabulary studies instead. I don't use a vocab curriculum; my ds gets his vocab work from two sources: Classical Writing (weekly vocab analysis), and Latin (weekly vocab list with a study of derivatives).

Of course, if your dc are struggling with spelling, you can extend spelling studies, or continue to focus on spelling with your vocab studies.

Does this help?