Menu

Audible deal on classics

I think it's a promotion for the Whispersync program:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000827761

If you scroll down a bit, there is a link to Try a Classic for 99 cents. It will take you to a list of about 80 Kindle books that are free. When you "buy" one of these books, you can add on the corresponding Audible book for 99 cents. (The offer will show up on the purchase confirmation page for the Kindle book.). These are the real books with narrators, not the text-to-speech.

It's a great deal if you want to get a few more classics in your auditory learner.

One day I'm going to figure out Audible. Thanks for this post.

It really is very easy. There are apps for most mobile devices (tablets and phones) and a PC or Mac application that you download to listen, put books on an MP3 player, or burn CDs of them.

When we signed up over 5 years ago, all I could do was listen on the computer or burn to CDs. Then we got an archaic MP3 player and I had to learn to download from the computer to that. Now that most devices are WiFi enabled, it's just a couple of clicks to start listening.

If you have a book junkie, it's great. They can actually clean house while reading an audiobook ;-) Well, everything except vacuuming.

Thank you!  I love audible and love a deal.  My family is hooked on audiobooks.  DD has one going, I have one going, DH has one going, and then we all have one going together.  

It really is very easy. There are apps for most mobile devices (tablets and phones) and a PC or Mac application that you download to listen, put books on an MP3 player, or burn CDs of them.

When we signed up over 5 years ago, all I could do was listen on the computer or burn to CDs. Then we got an archaic MP3 player and I had to learn to download from the computer to that. Now that most devices are WiFi enabled, it's just a couple of clicks to start listening.

If you have a book junkie, it's great. They can actually clean house while reading an audiobook ;-) Well, everything except vacuuming.

Thank you. That is the part I'm least worried about. I had dc so that they could help me w/ technology, you know. ;)

I don't get the credits. And do I get a book a month (I see there are several plans) and a credit too? Do they still give credits? 

I play such games with Audible to get free and cheap books. They do make it hard for newbies to know how to do Audible cheaply.

You do not need a subscription to register and use Audible.

If you do subscribe, your first month of a subscription is free. Then if you say you want to cancel because you cannot afford it,  they will offer you 3 more months at 1/2 price. Do all that, and you will get credits for 4 books. Use those credits for expensive books that are not part of whispersync deals at Amazon.

When they  stop offering free and half price, CANCEL. Do NOT take any of their deals to stay subscribed, that don't give you credits. Once you unsubscribe, a few months to a year later, they will offer you another 3 months at half price. Only resubscribe at half price and cancel as soon as the price goes back to full price. You will still be able to use all your books and buy whispersync deals.

If you are on the site, a pop up will appear asking if you have any questions. I always ask when my next chance for 1/2 price for 3 months is. once I was only unsubscribed for 2 months, and they offered it again. Once they made me wait a year.

I used my last 3 credits on Pimsleur Spanish.

Thank you. That is the part I'm least worried about. I had dc so that they could help me w/ technology, you know. ;)

I don't get the credits. And do I get a book a month (I see there are several plans) and a credit too? Do they still give credits?

You get one credit a month for the basic plan. Almost all books are 1 credit. I think I've bought one two credit book in all my years (It was a $50 new release.). There are promos where you can buy extra credits cheaply if you want more, usually you get an e-mail when you are out of credits. If you have no credits, your membership still allows you to buy any book at a discount (at least 30%, but sales will lower this.)

We are signed up for the two credits a month plan, which turns out to be $11+ per credit. If a book's member price is at that or below, I just pay for it, so I don't waste a credit. If ds goes on a reading binge, we usually come off better buying extra credits.

The cancelling and resubscribing probably works really well, but I just don't have the bandwidth for that. For us audible is like cable or Netflix is to other people.

You get one credit a month for the basic plan. Almost all books are 1 credit. I think I've bought one two credit book in all my years (It was a $50 new release.). There are promos where you can buy extra credits cheaply if you want more, usually you get an e-mail when you are out of credits. If you have no credits, your membership still allows you to buy any book at a discount (at least 30%, but sales will lower this.)

We are signed up for the two credits a month plan, which turns out to be $11+ per credit. If a book's member price is at that or below, I just pay for it, so I don't waste a credit. If ds goes on a reading binge, we usually come off better buying extra credits.

The cancelling and resubscribing probably works really well, but I just don't have the bandwidth for that. For us audible is like cable or Netflix is to other people.

Why do you need bandwidth to cancel and unsubscribe? The books still stream. Everything works the same except you don't get credits and you don't get the lower member prices. I never use the member price anyway as I usually only buy whispersync deals which are even cheaper. if I do want a membership price, I just wait till my next half-price subscription, and borrow the title from the library for now. Lately I'm only unsubscribed a few months at a time, so the wait is short.

If you browse for the audible book at Amazon, you are often offered a cheaper price than if you start looking at audible.

Why do you need bandwidth to cancel and unsubscribe? .

LOL, I'm so sorry, I meant mental bandwidth. I just have a zillion things to keep up with every day and I'm SO not good remembering all the little things. They need to be on autopilot or just not exist. (I'm thinking that must just be my own personal phrase that may very well be a window into my life ;) )

Thanks, I hadn't checked this in a while!  They've discounted a TON of the right now, presumably to promote the whisper sync feature, so that's awesome.  Just take your time to click the samples and make sure you like the version.  On some of the books there will be a couple audio versions that will work with the whisper sync, and you might prefer one over another.  They had a $1.49 version of Pride & Prejudice that I liked better than the .99, so I splurged.  :D   

Also, when you click one of the listings, it will offer to let you click and let it scan your kindle books to see what all you can upgrade with audible.  That way you see the final prices in front of you.  Some are .99, and some are still very cheap (3-3.50) and still less than the cost of buying credits.  Great deal if you like the readers!  On the free version of the Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes I didn't like the reader for the 99 cent audio.  If you buy the 99 cent kindle version, the linked reader is better, though again also a little more money.

Audible is the best deal going for stocking up on Great Courses lectures. 

I subscribed so I could purchase the lectures, which are just one credit, well worth the price. I have found that if I don't spend my credits each month and start to get a few I get a deal in my email. Along the lines of since on X date you had 4 credits you can buy one get one free or buy two get one free. So I can go use a few of my credits and a freebie credit all for Great Courses.