Menu

Help -- I need to use up 4 gallons of soured raw milk...

LisaKinVA

So, I got my family out of the hotel.  We started purchasing raw milk.  The first two weeks in the house, my refrigerator wasn't working properly, and well...about 2 gallons went bad.  Beyond that, we just don't drink as much milk when we aren't eating cereal (although how we can't consume 5 liters in a week is still a bit mind-boggling, but I'm working on it).

I'm getting ready to make 200 biscuits, that will probably take care of a bit... but do I need to add vinegar to it?  I have a buttermilk culture in my freezer, should I use that?

Now...what to do with the rest of it?

Due to fundraising efforts, I am short on freezer space...but I could theoretically make a very large batch of pancakes to freeze.  Or, would soured milk make a good yogurt?  I have lots of uses for yogurt.  

Oh, beyond that...I'm having to do a pretty low-carb, very-low-sugar diet for the next 6 months.  I received a phone call from the nurse at the hospital regarding my cholesterol, and they want to re-test in 6 months.  My cholesterol has always been high, but I did take it as a "win" of sorts that (a) it was much, much lower than it was 5 years ago...of course, they tested it when I was 2 weeks postpartum), and it was roughly the same as it was when I was 25 and on the "heart healthy diet," and an exercise fiend (5-7 hours of intense cardio and 4 hours of weight training a week...18% body fat).  FWIW, there is no history of heart disease in my family, and my blood pressure is 106/55 at my last visit...Oh, and another "win" was that my cholesterol dropped 20 points from 5/9 to 5/16...after getting moved into our house, and starting back to our "normal" diet.

So...now, what to do with the soured raw milk?

When my raw milk would get old and sour, I would use it for anything that called for buttermilk...no additional vinegar necessary. So I think using it for biscuits or pancakes would be fine. But if you don't feel comfortable consuming it at all, then I would pour it on some plants instead of down the drain.

When my raw milk would get old and sour, I would use it for anything that called for buttermilk...no additional vinegar necessary. So I think using it for biscuits or pancakes would be fine. But if you don't feel comfortable consuming it at all, then I would pour it on some plants instead of down the drain.

**acid-loving plants

Raw milk, when soured, can be used to make all sorts of things -- it doesn't go rancid like pasteurized milk.  It develops more of a probiotic aspect.  I have safely used it in breads, etc.  I am not worried about using it.  But, now I have a LOT.  It's been in my freezer.  Essentially, it doesn't taste SOUR, it tastes...cheesy.  I could make cottage cheese from it, too...but it would just make way more than I could eat.

I've googled lots of things I could do...but if I don't have to use vinegar, I'm going to use as much as I can in the biscuits (looks like I'll need a whopping 1 gallon of what I have (max), only 3 gallons to go.  I could use a lot in pancakes...and anything I make will have to be stored (somehow), until its eaten.  I guess the question becomes what can I make and most easily store that we can eat in a reasonable time frame...which probably means pancakes.  That's a LOT of pancakes :p