Menu

One Year Adventure Novel

We used WWS 1 in 7th grade.  It was no love affair and ended up getting shelved a couple of times.  Still, my girls did some good writing last year, and I usually had a fairly decent essay on Friday.  I've considered continuing with WWS 2 but it doesn't give me any pleasant feelings.  Then I looked at Elegant Essay and Lively Art of Writing.  Between the two of those, I think I would go with LAoW.  CAP's writing program looks promising, but they only have the earlier levels out.  Lost Tools of Writing actually looks like a better fit for them, but it might require more than I will be able to give next year.  Then I start all over.

So now for my latest questionable brilliant idea.  My youngest has been getting ready to write a novel over the summer.  (She's usually writing in her free time.)  She completed NaNoWriMo last November.  She had character sketches, notes, outline, summary all ready to go and started on the first day of summer.  She passed up a trip to the pool and park to write.  So I get to thinking....One Year Adventure Novel?  We will be doing LLfLoTR, and maybe this would fit in well.  Last year before high school.  Let her really work at developing her own voice.  Or am I hurting her by not making her spend this last year before high school working on academic writing?  It sounds so pleasant.  What if she chooses to attend the school her sister is at?  Will she be behind.

I am driving myself absolutely crazy.  When I get this settled, I still have her twin to deal with.

I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one thinking about detouring from our regular academic writing. I'm sure she would enjoy it.  It's not like it would be a year without writing.  Perhaps it would give her a good chance to find her own voice and get more comfortable with writing.  Just trying to convince myself.

Well since I didn't do anything formal last year, I figured at least she would be writing following a program and I thought it might help her see her idea through. She doesn't tend to like DVD instruction but I am hoping the content will keep her interested. She has taken so many writing classes that i feel like every time I buy something for her she is just bored and says she already knows it. We worked more on different kinds of writing this year but it was very vague. She was actually invited to participate as an 8th grader in a high school writing class that actually produces a book as a collective assignment but I am not sure she is ready emotionally to be around 9-12 grade kids so I thought this would be a good balance. It's something she is really passionate about and I figure she knows how to write so why not just let her write. She will have plenty time in HS for more formal writing and she can join the class the following year.

I think this is the first year I feel like I have a good plan for writing. :001_smile: Good Luck - I say go for it! :D

I say go for it.  I have a budding author who is a rising 7th grader.  (She has 5 novels going right now and can't wait for NaNoWriMo.)  I have sort of given up on pushing the academic writing and am trying to go more with her flow.  (Not this mama's natural inclination.)  I was afraid that OYAN would be a bit much, so we're going with Cover Story.

I can heartily recommend One Year Adventure Novel!  My writer used it for 2 years and learned so much about fiction writing and developing characters.  Teachers are inspired and inspiring. Customer service is superb.  The on-line forum is great and well-moderated....let your kids participate.  The summer program in Kansas is outstanding.  All positives from my side.

I can heartily recommend One Year Adventure Novel!  My writer used it for 2 years and learned so much about fiction writing and developing characters.  Teachers are inspired and inspiring. Customer service is superb.  The on-line forum is great and well-moderated....let your kids participate.  The summer program in Kansas is outstanding.  All positives from my side.

How old was your student?  My dd will be in 8th gr., and I think, from what I've read, that she can handle OYAN although it's designed for high school.  Is there anything I should watch out for?

How old was your student?  My dd will be in 8th gr., and I think, from what I've read, that she can handle OYAN although it's designed for high school.  Is there anything I should watch out for?

She did it in 9th and 10th grade.  It takes time, but if your dd is a writer, they won't begrudge the time.