Menu

I started taking down my wallpaper!

Kim in Appalachia

What a beautiful room, you'll be glad you did it. 

My son has helped us remove wallpaper in our homes. His "rule" now is that when you buy a home with wallpaper the previous owner must come and remove it themselves.  :lol: I like the way he thinks. 

Good for you.  I am avoiding my wallpaper removal project.  We started last summer and I could only handle it a few days at a time.  They didn't size the walls properly so it would take 30 minutes of steaming and scraping to clear a 1 ft x 1 ft section.  We only were able to remove a border from the kitchen and our upstairs hallway.  I had to abandon the project when school started because I just couldn't focus with my house torn apart like that.   I need to do 2 walls in my living room/dining room, but that means emptying/moving the hutch and a bunch of other furniture. 

Oh my! That woodwork! The high ceilings! It will be gorgeous when you're finished!

Are you going to reopen the window?

no, we are not.  It's my one regret in everything we've done in this house.  When we had the windows done we reopened 3, but not that one.  We replaced 10 windows total, and money was tight so we left it and we can't do it now. 

What a beautiful room, you'll be glad you did it. 

My son has helped us remove wallpaper in our homes. His "rule" now is that when you buy a home with wallpaper the previous owner must come and remove it themselves.  :lol: I like the way he thinks. 

I've decided the same thing. Anyone who puts up wallpaper should be forced to remove it.  I hate that stuff.  I believe it do be the invention of the devil. :D

Good for you.  I am avoiding my wallpaper removal project.  We started last summer and I could only handle it a few days at a time.  They didn't size the walls properly so it would take 30 minutes of steaming and scraping to clear a 1 ft x 1 ft section.  We only were able to remove a border from the kitchen and our upstairs hallway.  I had to abandon the project when school started because I just couldn't focus with my house torn apart like that.   I need to do 2 walls in my living room/dining room, but that means emptying/moving the hutch and a bunch of other furniture. 

I just spent an hour on a 1 x 1 section and it's not all done. :(  They had repaired the corner and then papered over it.  That stuff is stuck on there.  I can't get the steamer in the rounded corner.  

My motivation is that currently my bedroom is all over the rest of my house and I want my room back.  My dh was supposed to try and track down the number for the guy to do the hardwood.  We decided to refinish the floor! I can't wait till it's done. 

I just spent an hour on a 1 x 1 section and it's not all done. :(  They had repaired the corner and then papered over it.  That stuff is stuck on there.  I can't get the steamer in the rounded corner.  

My motivation is that currently my bedroom is all over the rest of my house and I want my room back.  My dh was supposed to try and track down the number for the guy to do the hardwood.  We decided to refinish the floor! I can't wait till it's done. 

Well, every inch our wallpaper is like this.  I spend a good 2 weeks removing wallpaper.  When I would get lightheaded from the steam and heat (it was August), one of my kids would take over.  I'd say we worked for at least 5 hours a day and only got one 10 ft. long hallway and a 12 inch border that went around our small kitchen.  I still haven't removed all the paste and scraps.  I still have two 10 foot long full walls to do (no doorways or windows.)  I am dreading it. 

We had hoped to refinish the floors as they have the original finish from when the house was built over 50 years ago (covered by carpet for many of those years.  I don't know if we will have the $$ since we found out we need some major roof repairs.  And to have a couch that doesn't squeak if I laugh to hard:). 

Good luck on finishing your project!

I hate actually removing wallpaper but love the finished product.

My first time I ever removed wallpaper was in our kitchen. I was surprised when there was another layer underneath the exposed wallpaper. Ugh. It wasn't fun but a wonderful homeschool mom/friend came and helped me do it.

Removing wallpaper is hard work but the results are with it!

Elise in NC