Menu

Grade level combined subjects (Christian) without a ton of reading

mom31257

I have a friend who is contemplating homeschooling next year. She will have 4th and 1st graders who've been in Christian school and are doing well academically. She would like to look at combining them for history and science. She wants Christian materials, not something with tons of read alouds like Sonlight, but something she can challenge the 4th grader in addition to whatever she does together. 

She is a cosmetologist, and her husband is home because of some health issues. He's been feeling better, so they are considering it. 

She will be home 2 days each week, and he'll do the rest. Any good suggestions and tips on how you would make it work?

We haven't started using it yet, but I have Science in the Beginning to use for my rising 1st and 4th graders. At the end of the lessons, you have options for younger vs older elementary students. I'm expecting it to be engaging enough for my younger DS, while easily going deeper with my older DS if needed.

What is throwing me is how to find something "challenging" for a 4th grader, yet can also be used for 1st. I can't think of anything quite like that. Maybe just read Child's History of the World together for history. It will be a far cry more than what most ps provide, but I can't say it would be challenging. 

What is throwing me is how to find something "challenging" for a 4th grader, yet can also be used for 1st. I can't think of anything quite like that. Maybe just read Child's History of the World together for history. It will be a far cry more than what most ps provide, but I can't say it would be challenging. 

Yes, I would choose some kind of history spine like this--you could do Story of the World, Mystery of History, Child's History of the World, etc... (When Sonlight schedules Child's History..., they skip chapters 1-3. Mystery of History is decidedly young earth, but if they are not young-earth, skip the dates in Mystery of History until they get to Abraham or so)

If they like what they see in Sonlight but just think it's too many books, do something like the Core B+C but spread it out over 2 years (so it's like half the books of a typical core). Or consider the 4-day schedule SL offers, and drop some books here and there. They could do just a history spine and some read-alouds if they didn't want a full package. 

Something like Winter Promise or My Father's World might work. WP has less books and more projects. I've never done Heart of Dakota, that might be one to look into. That wasn't around when my kids were younger. 

I use MFW.  It has some reading, but I wouldn't call it tons.  It has worked pretty well with combining for my kids.  The olders are expected to do more on their own, and it has seemed like I have been able to challenge them fine while not going over the head of my little guy.

We used My Father's World last year for the first time and it was just the right amount of reading for those of us who can't handle tons or don't have children (or a mother) who want to read so much. There are additional reading lists for each week if you want to expand, but none is required. That way, she'll have the base - all needed books are included in the package but if she sees that her oldest wants or needs additional books, it's there without too much extra effort on her part. I haven't used any other curriculum sets - it's nice to have it all planned out :)

She can always call the office for guidance. They have been very helpful, in my experience. Usually, they would suggest that a new family start out with Exploring Countries and Cultures. They may also encourage your friend to purchase the first grade program for the first grader, as that year is meant to provide a solid phonics foundation. Of course, she could also just purchase a phonics, handwriting, and math program for the first grader ( such as maybe Rod and Staff and Singapore) and then combine the two kids for everything else possible.

For MFW, if you are doing it with a 4th grader and 1st grader, how do you know which package to use? If it were me doing it, I always think teach to the oldest and adapt some things for the younger. 

They say to start with the oldest and adapt for the younger. I would suggest starting with Exploring Countries and Cultures - 4th grade is perfect for that and is the start of their history cycle. Their website explains it and you can call like the other suggested. I have not used ECC yet, but I do have it and we are starting in a couple months. I'm going to use it with a 3rd and 1st grader.