Menu

Lego robotics-NOT FLL or FIRST *questions in post 18! please check in

My dd8 would like to learn robotics. I know nothing about robots and less than nothing about programming.

I've looked into Lego robotics, but because of our location FLL isn't something we could easily do. Everything is too far away. Everything. however several of the state universities have Lego robotic competitions throughout the school year.

here's the question: how difficult is it to learn in the Lego robotics. if we bought the kit, is it something that I could easily pick up and teach from? or do I need to find someone who has some experience with robotics / programming?

if it is fairly easy to start with, will probably go this route. one of the "local" university offers a beginners crash course for coaches.

ideally I would get the kids and offered to teach it to 8 to 10 of our homeschool coop kids.

if the kits are self-explanatory, what kit should I be looking for? there so many and they run from $300-700!

if this is not a good way to teach robotics and programming, what is?

I know our county 4H runs a robotics program. I do not know the extent to which Lego is involved at every age level. Maybe someone at the county Extension office could help you? If there are no teams active in your county or active close enough for your family, the office may be able to help you get the project books for robotics if those interested you. 

The robotics introduction class my kids attended at the YMCA used the Lego Education Mindstorm core set. It is easy to learn and teach from the core set without prior knowledge. Two kids share a set. The instructors have a set for demo purpose. The 6-9 year old class was 6 classes of an hour. The 10-12 year old class was 6 classes of 1.5hrs.

The 6 year olds had no problems with the Mindstorm sets.

RobotC for Mindstorm was harder and so you might want to check what course is offered for the coaches.

I know our county 4H runs a robotics program. I do not know the extent to which Lego is involved at every age level. Maybe someone at the county Extension office could help you? If there are no teams active in your county or active close enough for your family, the office may be able to help you get the project books for robotics if those interested you.

Our 4h doesn't have robotics. but I haven't thought of checking the extension office for the project book. That's a good idea!

The robotics introduction class my kids attended at the YMCA used the Lego Education Mindstorm core set. It is easy to learn and teach from the core set without prior knowledge. Two kids share a set. The instructors have a set for demo purpose. The 6-9 year old class was 6 classes of an hour. The 10-12 year old class was 6 classes of 1.5hrs.

The 6 year olds had no problems with the Mindstorm sets.

RobotC for Mindstorm was harder and so you might want to check what course is offered for the coaches.

Thank you!

I knew I came to the right place. you all are awesome :-)

I a a complete novice but we are staring out with EV3 and this book:

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-MINDSTORMS-Discovery-Book-Color/dp/1593275323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403062192&sr=8-1&keywords=Ev3+discovery

The book just came out and is fabulous. My review is the first one on Amazon.

My kids like the EV3 lab book. We read the library copy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1593275331

I would recommend Scratch programming as a starting point http://scratch.mit.edu

It's free, easy to learn, and similar to Lego robot programming in many ways. There are books out there for additional instruction & project ideas too. Good way to gauge interest & ability before spending several hundred $$ on a Mindstorms kit.

If you don't already have any Lego Technics sets, theres a set called Crazy Action Contraptions (Lego w/ Klutz book) that is a good starter set for the mechanical side of things. The Technics pieces can be used with the robotics sets also once you move along to those.

Our 4h doesn't have robotics. but I haven't thought of checking the extension office for the project book. That's a good idea!

Anyone can order/use the 4H project books. There are at least a hundred. I believe you can look at the offerings online. The advantage of going through your local office is the ability to actually see the material they keep on hand, a chance of being given the materials to either borrow or keep, or at least being able to buy the books without paying for shipping. When I was in high school I had free run of the curriculum room in my county's office, but I'm not sure if they do it that way still or if it that was just how my extension agent kept me busy. (No wonder I homeschool now, huh?)

So, the library book has projects, or is it an instruction booklet? Just curious :) I may have to check that out for my lego-headed 12 yo. The actual lab kit isn't an option for us, but maybe the book is inspiring?

It is kind of like a guided instruction booklet to the projects. My kids have the NXT set so they got ideas from the book even though they didn't try to make the same models.

My boys browse through the book at Barnes & Noble and liked it then read the library copy.

I won't recommend buying but I would recommend borrowing from the library for a Lego fan.

My 9yo got the ev3 a month after turning 9. My 6 yr old does not express any interest in it beyond watching what it can do after programming.

We are rural, but have had the luck to find two summer camps, one of which is sponsored by the local high school robotics team...the other by a children's museum about 45 min away.

Lego robotics are expensive, but I have found them to be worth every penny. Ds is applying knowledge from a class he took,at the museum and just "figuring it out " on his own....cool to watch

4H may still be able to help you get set up with robotics as a project area within 4H or as a stand alone club.  They can even write grants for materials for clubs. You might be able to start a robotics club through 4H.  This is what we did and we received an outpouring of help and resources.  Also, if you do a fund raiser associated with 4H, businesses are often quite generous.