Menu

Teaching/Correcting Pencil Grip

My 6.5 yo niece was visiting this past week, and I noticed that she still used a very incorrect grip while writing/ coloring (and holding eating utensils). It's about one step up from the "fist grip" young toddlers start with. My SIL was observing that she doesn't like writing and her penmanship is messy; I inquired - gently - about the grip. My niece's school is of the opinion that children will correct their own grip "when they're ready".

I didn't call hogwash, because (a) I have one very small child and (b) it just seems safer to leave school/parenting topics alone unless specific advice is actually solicited, but what I thought was REALLY?!?

So then I began wondering when DO you correct grip? Kindy age when "formal" handwriting instruction begins? But doesn't this leave some kids with several years of habit to overcome? Whenever they are coordinated enough to hold a crayon? But doesn't this leave them annoyed at mom for interrupting their coloring all the time?

I'm certainly not concerned for my immediate future - we're still in the crayons-are-for-eating stage - but now I'm wondering if there's a sweet spot for concentrating on proper grip sometime between 15 months and 6.5 years.

My daughter will turn 4 next month. I taught her correct crayon group four weeks ago when we started the Handwriting Without Tears PreK workbook. She picked up the grip pretty easily, even though she's a righty being taught by a lefty. Now when we do school,I require her to hold her crayon correctly. When she's coloring just for fun, I will occasionally say, "can you hold your crayon correctly, please?", but I don't force the issue. I also remind her to be careful to stay in the lines, with much more emphasis on that when doing school work than when playing.

I have not yet applied that to silverware ... I guess I probably should, but honestly I'm inclined to let it go for a few more months. One thing at a time.

I don't think you have to have 10 adult children to call hogwash on that.  You just have to think back to adults that you've known (or yourself) that has a miserable grip. I have a permanent dent in my thumb from my grip.  I think that this is cop-out on the same scale as "They will work through their reading problems on their own".  

This is sitting in my Amazon cart.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FF7M66/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1E8AJDELN2AKR

maybe a present?

My 6.5 yo niece was visiting this past week, and I noticed that she still used a very incorrect grip while writing/ coloring (and holding eating utensils). It's about one step up from the "fist grip" young toddlers start with. My SIL was observing that she doesn't like writing and her penmanship is messy; I inquired - gently - about the grip. My niece's school is of the opinion that children will correct their own grip "when they're ready".

I didn't call hogwash, because (a) I have one very small child and ( B) it just seems safer to leave school/parenting topics alone unless specific advice is actually solicited, but what I thought was REALLY?!?

So then I began wondering when DO you correct grip? Kindy age when "formal" handwriting instruction begins? But doesn't this leave some kids with several years of habit to overcome? Whenever they are coordinated enough to hold a crayon? But doesn't this leave them annoyed at mom for interrupting their coloring all the time?

I'm certainly not concerned for my immediate future - we're still in the crayons-are-for-eating stage - but now I'm wondering if there's a sweet spot for concentrating on proper grip sometime between 15 months and 6.5 years.

The very first time I put a crayon in my dc's chubby little hands, I helped them to hold the crayon as correctly as possible. Ditto with a spoon, because the grip is pretty much the same.

Thanks, all.

Re: eating utensils, I notice this because in my IL's family, table manners were basically not taught. My DH regrets this as an adult, esp. because his job frequently has him dining out/entertaining. He feels self-conscious about manners, as things crop up he doesn't know about or just the sheer amount of thought that goes into certain mealtime rituals that he realizes are just habits for many (basic things like napkin in lap, chewing with mouth closed.). He has decent manners now, but unequivocally feels as though many things would have been easier if the habit had been cultivated in early childhood.

My niece is by no means uncoordinated nor does she have can't physical delays, so it's hard to watch her struggle with something that could be corrected with a bit of adult oversight and patience. I didn't say anything this visit, but I may if I feel like it's appropriate when I see them next month.

And it looks like anytime is a good time to work with my son. As soon as utensils are for eating not banging, I might make a small start :-)

I teach them once they start holding crayons. The younger two got it immediately. My oldest took a while. She was good for three years then suddenly started holding it oddly. I think the problem is mainly when she does cursive. I purchased a few of those pencil holders and they seemed to really help.

I taught mine as soon as they were picking up a pencil to learn how to write.  We used pencil grips for as long as necessary.  My dd took longer to correct her grip, while my ds has a naturally correct grip anyway, thank goodness!  We're now just down to the occasional reminder for my dd.

Bear in mind that even if your niece's grip is not corrected, hope is not lost!  My (now 16-year-old) niece had a horrible pencil grip, not corrected at school. However. she finally corrected it herself when she was about 14.  I asked her about it, and she told me she did so because she got sick of her mom nagging her about it!  :lol: