Menu

DD is refusing to eat normally... WWYD?

Not long ago, DD4 was eating a mini powdered donut. She took a big bite and chewed it for awhile but she didn't swallow the bite. It got kind of goey and stuck to the roof of her mouth. She didn't choke or even gag. I just cleaned it out with my finger and that was that.

Now because of that situation, DD is refusing to take normal-size bites of anything. She takes itty bitty little minute-sized bites of everything because she is afraid she is going to choke. It takes forever for her to finish a meal; she sat at the table for 2 hours trying to finish a cut up hot dog (without the bun). The other day at breakfast she refused to eat GrapeNuts because the granules were too big for her!

I've explained that she is not going to choke as long as she takes normal-size bites (and chews it up well) but nothing I say is helping the situtation. Is there anything I can do or say to help her? Or, should I just let this phase ride its course?

Thanks!

Disclaimer: I don't believe in forceful eating - it can impact lifelong food issues.

Ok... so explore size a bit with your DC, using other animals - frog hops, baby frog hops, giraffe steps, elephant steps, bunny hops, whatever... explore animal movements, spend some time having some fun!

Then transition to a snack (call it something fun), and explore different size bites for different animals.

Even if it doesn't work, you will have a great lesson in animals and their differences!

Give her time... some children are just more sensitive to certain things. You can encourage, etc. But don't get her feeling that she needs to "rush to eat" either. As long as she is eating enough overall, she'll gradually overcome the fear with time. Don't make a big deal about it either...

My oldest dd has gone through things like this more than once (only got worse when teeth started to get loose!).

Basically, she would nibble at food (we're talking one corn kernal at a time, one green bean, the smallest corner of a chicken nugget) -- my 2yo would finish before she did. At times, the family would have to go somewhere, and I'd make sure she had her dinner to go.

My family is more a "grazing" family anyhow -- we usually eat about 6-7 times a day. Small frequent meals, and I'd cut things up for her about the same size I cut things up for my 2yo.

Best wishes..

I would cut her food up to her preferred size and gradually make the pieces a bit bigger until she's back to normal. It's a pain but I wouldn't want to get into food fights with a 4 yo because they're almost impossible to win, especially if the child is really afraid.

Good luck and patience!

In the first Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle book, there is a chapter called:

"The Slow-Eater-Tiny-Bite-Taker Cure".

Maybe reading this would help your dd?

Brilliant idea -- thanks! We have the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Treasury. I think we will read that story tonight!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions -- I truly appreciate it!

Not long ago, DD4 was eating a mini powdered donut. She took a big bite and chewed it for awhile but she didn't swallow the bite. It got kind of goey and stuck to the roof of her mouth. She didn't choke or even gag. I just cleaned it out with my finger and that was that.

Now because of that situation, DD is refusing to take normal-size bites of anything. She takes itty bitty little minute-sized bites of everything because she is afraid she is going to choke. It takes forever for her to finish a meal; she sat at the table for 2 hours trying to finish a cut up hot dog (without the bun). The other day at breakfast she refused to eat GrapeNuts because the granules were too big for her!

I've explained that she is not going to choke as long as she takes normal-size bites (and chews it up well) but nothing I say is helping the situtation. Is there anything I can do or say to help her? Or, should I just let this phase ride its course?

Thanks!

You can buy a choke tube. Tell her if the piece of food fits through the tube easily, she won't choke on it.