Menu

???

It's fine to take vit. C.  We use an overall b supplement, not just a single thing.  Empower®  On the yeast/candida, have you ever looked into food combining?  He's low tone?  I'm low tone, and I just have to be super careful to eat enough fiber (raisin bran, salad, fruit, etc.) and keep my thyroid up.  I've food combined for over 10 years now on the advice of a nutritionist, and it made a HUGE difference.  If you improve gut clearance (which food combining does), then you use food to clean out the gut.  You essentially stop the root cause of the candida.  At least it worked for me.  I was MCS and the whole nine yards.  :)

I'm not sure I'd go screwing around with that other stuff, at least with a child.  I'm not sure what symptoms you're trying to resolve, but I've finally got both my dc on Brain Nourisher, now that Foodform has it back in stock.  Brain Nourisher®  I've had ds on it for 3 days now, and his speech is noticeably better.  I'm putting dd back on it (they didn't have it available for a while) to see how it improves her academic stamina.

No, at this point ds 5.5 is no where NEAR being able to swallow pills.  We used to grind tablets.  Food Form just switched and put almost everything into capsules, which is AWESOME for this.  He's small, so I give him 2 calcium and 2 brain nourisher in one spoon.  For an 11 year, they'd take more of an adult dose (6 capsules calcium, 3-6 brain nourisher) and I'd divide it into B/L/S. (breakfast/lunch/supper)

I'm sorry, I had totally forgotten your ds' bowel problems!  That makes sense why he's having yeast issues, because you're having gut clearance issues.  For the good bugs, Primadophilus is good.  It comes in capsules, which again you can empty and put on that same spoon with the other stuff.  I give him his flax oil then too.  He gets a serious, noticeable bump in speech doing this, I assume because with his speech problem it's all about getting the brain and muscles to connect.  I have no clue if it would affect the bowels, mercy, and make NO implication or suggestion to that effect AT ALL.  In my dd it gives her more academic stamina.  I take it myself when I wear out my brain doing things.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.  I really know nothing about structural bowel problems.  :(

Ds did the same test with Great Plains and the nutritionist recommended tons. Ds has been taking it for several weeks now, and it could be why we saw that very pleasant calm while we were on holiday. His appetite is excellent, and so is his sleep. *I hesitate to attribute all good things to the supplements*. He can still throw a fit (he did, from being over tired) and isn't the most focused in the world still, but dh remarked that he's more grounded. He's reading all the time too, which suggests that perhaps he's had some improvement visually (he's doing VT again). Tying it all together is my reverting to a very calm parenting style and this time sticking.to.it.omm.

I was about to ask on the hive why ADHD meds aren't prescribed on this basis. Part of me feels uncomfortable with the lack of research, but otoh, my nutritionist is very cautious. Dosing is always lower than what's indicated at the back of the bottle or from what I read, in half capsules of 1/8 tsps. Btw, apparently a lot of these supplements encourage yeast growth, so be sure to add a yeast management program and a good probiotic. Also, there will be ammonia buildup. Ask your nutritionist about this. 

We'll be monitoring all this with the OAT test again in a few months. The idea is that when balance is reached at some point, he will be gradually weaned off these supplements to see if they're self-sustaining (this is my idea at any rate  :lol: )

Adding: Magnesium and Vit B's are administered via soaks and skin creams. DS has had magnesium supplements for years too, which shows he's not absorbing well via the stomach. Vit B is new to him.

Our nutritionist spent a lot of time rebuilding digestion with me before she put me on much with supplements.  As you say, if you're not absorbing, you're just making expensive pee and taxing your liver.  Lots of fruit (I know, not what they say for candida, but do it anyway) and lots of salad.  By lots I'm talking 3-6 cups of fruit a day and 3 cups of salad for dinner plus another 2 cups of starchy veges (carrots, potatoes, beets, limas, corn, etc.) for lunch.  Takes a couple years of that to rebuild digestion, but it can be done.  

Calcium makes a big difference in ds' behavior, creating the calm you're talking about.  

I'm not sure why your supplements would cause candida overgrowth.  Mine sure don't.  Some companies add sugar to their vits to give people an artificial energy surge.

Not sure if this will help you but we had great success with Dianne Crafts nutritional program. Her Cd Biology of Behavior has the schedule. We put the whole family on it. It cleared up yeast overgrowth in one ds, planter's warts in another, and what we thought was lactose intolerance in our oldest. She also talks about some natural supplements for mood.

Our nutritionist spent a lot of time rebuilding digestion with me before she put me on much with supplements.  As you say, if you're not absorbing, you're just making expensive pee and taxing your liver.  Lots of fruit (I know, not what they say for candida, but do it anyway) and lots of salad.  By lots I'm talking 3-6 cups of fruit a day and 3 cups of salad for dinner plus another 2 cups of starchy veges (carrots, potatoes, beets, limas, corn, etc.) for lunch.  Takes a couple years of that to rebuild digestion, but it can be done.  

Calcium makes a big difference in ds' behavior, creating the calm you're talking about.  

I'm not sure why your supplements would cause candida overgrowth.  Mine sure don't.  Some companies add sugar to their vits to give people an artificial energy surge.

Ok, OhE, my dear, after reading this, I decided to start my own dd on a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement. It's a cheapy one but it's helped me a lot with palpitations. Since I already had it on hand, I just gave it to her. :)

She is home from school with a low fever and another tummy ache. She ate mac and cheese at a friend's house last night. Ugh! I went shopping this morning to get her more GF/DF stuff. I'm slowly clearing out the other stuff and talking to her about the importance of avoiding eating things that make her sick later. I hope it sinks in. She missed a day of school last week, too, and I'm sure that was from food choices, too.

So.  I've been googling and reading.  Last night I came across an interesting website, http://www.neurosupport.com/.  There are several articles listed on the left side.  There is talk of urine testing being inaccurate, neurotransmitters difficult to supplement except with careful individual dosing, always in combination, etc.  The article I found most interesting is this one:  http://www.neurosupport.com/07_ADHD_Final.pdf .  I wish there was more medical research in this area - if anyone has links to more articles, please post - I'm still reading.  It's fascinating.  It's already clear to me why, for example, certain medicines for adhd and anxiety could contraindicate each other, and why there is so much difficulty finding the right drug for an individual.  I also wonder about more accurate testing of neurotransmitters, how to supplement correctly, and just what specific things in the gut make these.  LOL, I want it all and I highly doubt science is anywhere close to figuring all that out - it's the wild west.

If anyone has comments, let's discuss, positives/negatives, controversy, what worked or didn't work for you, etc.

Found an interesting book:  http://books.google.com/books?id=KDxUfc-rEs8C&pg=PA475&lpg=PA475&dq=150+mg+5+htp+1500+mg+tyrosine+cysteine&source=bl&ots=-uWqpL1gdz&sig=kHVVPMQcP8DsIEbWkuVhpn3z2n0&hl=en&ei=AXL6TPmELoWisAP96bH3DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CD8Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=150%20mg%205%20htp%201500%20mg%20tyrosine%20cysteine&f=false

I am trying a "restrictive diet" around July 5th or so with my son. I had thought of what to do and the Psych yesterday that said evaluated my son suggested that I google the ones from overseas which are being used to "cure/help" ADHD issues.  He suggested starting with chicken (produces dopamine?) rice and green lettuce to start... and then add and see how things go.... Anyone here do this??? My son has ADHD with a big "H"..... 

Wapiti , this was what was mentioned to me by the nutritionist. Ds is taking L-methathione. He also takes L-methyl folate - not sure if they do the same thing. He still pinches, but after about 4 weeks, it does seem more controllable. Do you have links to articles regarding methylation?

This OCD thing is real and I've experienced it myself. For me, it starts off with this urge to rub a corner of my 4th finger on my right hand, and then my left. It's just awful if I don't! I have felt this way every now and then, but when I started taking choline, the compulsion was unbearable. All I had to do was stop the supplement. But with kids who are more sensitive to environmental/ food chemicals, it's hard to pin point what the cause is. I might just try out the l-methathione etc on myself to see if it works ...

(I signed up for the webinar too but may not be able to make it).