Menu

Dog harness

Night Elf

When I take my dogs out, I put a harness on them that is made of the same material as their collars. Is there any reason they can't live in these harnesses for a week? We're taking them to the kennel for a week's stay. I'm afraid to take off the harness when we get there because it will be too hard to get it back on when we pick them up. They get so excited when they see it. I normally have to put it on them as they are totally at rest. I hate the idea of them wearing it constantly for a week. It's not a tight fit. Should I ask the employees to remove them and put them back on the day we pick them up? In fact, I think they'll bathe the dogs the morning we pick them up. Surely they'd have to take them off at that time anyway. I hate leaving my dogs in a kennel. I miss them so much that it colors my vacation.

The only negative we've found to long term harness use is lots of tangles. However, if the kennel allows your dog to socialize with other pets while there, I'd send them "naked." A playful game can turn into disaster if a tooth gets stuck.

Well, other dogs won't be a problem. The kennel puts my two dogs into a separate yard for outside time because my dachshund barks at other dogs and we don't know what he'd actually do if near them to touch them. I just can't remember what we did about the collar and harnesses last year. I guess they'll tell us when we take them in. I just want my dogs to be as comfortable as possible in new surroundings.

Collars or harnesses left on in a kennel/cage/crate set up is a hanging risk.

Also, even in a week with a proper fitting one can cause sores to develop.

The kennel would probably not allow them to be left on.

And I wouldn't use a kennel that would allow them to be left on!