Menu

Great DD moment today...anyone want to share something?

I'm not sure how I feel about celebrating this, but here it goes: DS8, of his own choosing, has read *two* Captain Underpants books in the past two days! He read them by himself and gave me a decent summary of them when finished.

Traa laa laaaaa (Embracing the twaddle wholeheartedly if it gets him reading)  :blushing: 

DD  just texted asking if she could sign herself up for skate camp again for next week.  She spelled everything correctly and used the right punctuation.  Then she signed herself up (after getting permission) and was able to pay for it out of her allowance without needing help with the math.  Yeah!!!

Also, even though DD hates being late, this morning she realized that DS would definitely be very late this morning if we dropped off DD at her camp first (started out late and it was my fault).  She was able to look at the clock and do the math on her own.  (HUGE progress in understanding elapsed time, etc). Then she volunteered to let me drop off DS first so he would not be late at all and she would only be a few minutes late instead of her being on time and DS extremely late.  And she didn't get mad and spiral down into sullen depression because I had delayed our departure.  :hurray:

Nephew and niece having a conversation after a neighbor gave them a 14 digit code to enter into her computer as she ran out the door...

Nephew:  "I'm dyslexic and you're legally blind.  What are the odds we will enter this code correctly?"

Niece:  "Well, we can certainly have an adventure trying!" 

Love the attitude!  :lol:

I would very much like to share something. We just got the news that dd did very well on the algebra placement test for the high school she will attend. She placed into geometry with a score much higher than was even necessary. I am so proud of her. She always hated math and could be very spacey while doing it. It took her years to finally get her facts down. I did math consistently with her, planted myself by her side and scribed for her for many, many years through those long CLE lessons, doing every problem because I felt she needed it. This year we switched to Saxon algebra and she continued to plug away and now we're seeing the fruits of all her hard work. :)

I would very much like to share something. We just got the news that dd did very well on the algebra placement test for the high school she will attend. She placed into geometry with a score much higher than was even necessary. I am so proud of her. She always hated math and could be very spacey while doing it. It took her years to finally get her facts down. I did math consistently with her, planted myself by her side and scribed for her for many, many years through those long CLE lessons, doing every problem because I felt she needed it. This year we switched to Saxon algebra and she continued to plug away and now we're seeing the fruits of all her hard work. :)

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

I just wanted to comment further on this, Tiramisu.  I know things have been tough for you and I reread this post with a big grin.  In fact, I reread this whole thread this morning and this post in particular reminds me that all things are possible.  Math has been such a challenge here.  It gives me big puffy heart feelings all over that your DD did well on the algebra placement test.  Teaching our children with challenges is such a long journey at times but WOW when they make it through something the feeling is incredible.

I think parents of kids who struggle, and even the kids themselves, appreciate the successes way more than NT kids and parents.  We realize just how much effort goes into getting there.

Remember there was a thread not too long ago about driving? Well, my oldest passed her driving test yesterday--the first time around! I admit I was afraid to practice with her. But now that I've seen her behind the wheel, I'm amazed that her driving is so smooth. She's a real natural. Not what I expected. I am very proud of her. This momentous occasion seemed to get eclipsed by other things, but at least we celebrated with milkshakes on the way home from the testing center. :)

Remember there was a thread not too long ago about driving? Well, my oldest passed her driving test yesterday--the first time around! I admit I was afraid to practice with her. But now that I've seen her behind the wheel, I'm amazed that her driving is so smooth. She's a real natural. Not what I expected. I am very proud of her. This momentous occasion seemed to get eclipsed by other things, but at least we celebrated with milkshakes on the way home from the testing center. :)

Now that is AWESOME.  I failed my driver's test at least 2 times.  I don't remember clearly anymore but I know it was at least 2.  My parents hardly had me drive at all, except on the family ranch.  When they had me take the test  I had very little practical experience driving in a large city and was easily rattled.  I will not make that same mistake with my own kids....

Ds17 ran a 5k today.  It was an impulsive move on his part - he had done zero training for it and has been struggling with asthma.  But I was still proud of him.  I've been trying to get him to exercise more (he's been riding an exercise bike every day so I suppose you could say there was a bit of training but no actual running).  He had his inhaler with him and took a puff or two before running.  Dh ran along side of him to make sure he could make it breathing wise.  Anyway - he completed the entire course with running and walking.  I'm proud of dd12 too for running that same 5k but she's been training for months and is a natural jock so it wasn't as much of a stretch for her.  

Ds17 ran a 5k today.  It was an impulsive move on his part - he had done zero training for it and has been struggling with asthma.  But I was still proud of him.  I've been trying to get him to exercise more (he's been riding an exercise bike every day so I suppose you could say there was a bit of training but no actual running).  He had his inhaler with him and took a puff or two before running.  Dh ran along side of him to make sure he could make it breathing wise.  Anyway - he completed the entire course with running and walking.  I'm proud of dd12 too for running that same 5k but she's been training for months and is a natural jock so it wasn't as much of a stretch for her.  

Oh, that is wonderful!  How does he feel now?  And DD?

Thank you.  Will do.  I'm overly tired and achy but that's sort of par for the course after a busy day.  

Understood.  Hopefully, you will feel better tomorrow.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  And still really pumped about your kiddos.  I have thought about training for a marathon that the kids might be interested in joining.  I just haven't felt healthy enough.  It would be great, though. 

Understood.  Hopefully, you will feel better tomorrow.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  And still really pumped about your kiddos.  I have thought about training for a marathon that the kids might be interested in joining.  I just haven't felt healthy enough.  It would be great, though. 

Wow, training for a marathon?  You and your kids must run a lot!  My dd has been part of a kid's 5k running/training group through the YMCA.  It's been a very positive experience.  They encourage parents to sign up and run along side the kids too.  I don't.  I'm still working on walking with my physical therapist but I do go and walk the dog while they run.  

O.k. well, DD and DS just shocked the pants off me.  They decided they would rather forego skate camp this week to stay home and do school stuff.  My face was like:  :confused1: :ohmy: :thumbup: :tongue_smilie:  I really wasn't planning full lessons this week, just light review....pulling it all together now.

O.k. well, DD and DS just shocked the pants off me.  They decided they would rather forego skate camp this week to stay home and do school stuff.  My face was like:  :confused1: :ohmy: :thumbup: :tongue_smilie:  I really wasn't planning full lessons this week, just light review....pulling it all together now.

Well the sentiment lasted all of an hour then they were ready for a nap...  :)