Menu

Math assessment for a 13 yo?

I have a friend that has asked me if I could tutor her 13 year old dd in math. Her dd has been using only Khan Academy (they basically unschool), and so I am looking for an assessment I could give her to get a clear idea of where she is. Possible resources I am looking at using with her would include Life of Fred, or maybe AoPs (she likes to read).

Does anyone know where I can get a basic math assessment, not necessarily one that is for a particular program?

Do you already have AoPS Algebra or Pre-Algebra?  If they have progressed into the alg section of Khan Academy, they may be able to just start with one of the AoPS text books.   You could address gaps as (or if) they become evident.

Otherwise, I second ALEKS as a good assessment.  many times you can find a free 2 or  month trial.

Do you already have AoPS Algebra or Pre-Algebra?  If they have progressed into the alg section of Khan Academy, they may be able to just start with one of the AoPS text books.   You could address gaps as (or if) they become evident.

Otherwise, I second ALEKS as a good assessment.  many times you can find a free 2 or  month trial.

I'll have AoPs prealgebra on hand by fall! And I wil look into Aleks.

If you've been included as her coach on Khan Academy, you can use the site to help place her in other curricula. You can go as detailed as individual subsections she's mastered or look at what percentage of a grade level she's completed.

I haven't been, but maybe I could be added as one?