Menu

Saxon 7/6 or Math Mammoth 6?

We just started home schooling 2 years ago. At school, my daughter had the Singapore Math in Focus series. Our first year of homeschooling, we used Right Start because of the group we were with. Last year, we used Saxon 6/5. She does well in math, but I'm worried about all this switching.

Math Mammoth is all the rage, but it stops at Level 6, right? So, I'm wondering if I should just stay the course with Saxon or switch. We do have a Mathematical Olympiads team also, which provides us with some variety, math-wise.

Has anyone done a comparison of what each curriculum covers or leaves out? She did get a little tired of the Saxon pattern, but in my limited experience so far, everything gets old after a while, so I'm not super worried about that.

Thanks!

Math Mammoth is all the rage, but it stops at Level 6, right?

FWIW, MM7 (prealgebra) should be out this fall, IIRC.  After that, you would move on to any algebra 1.

I'm no Saxon fan (joyless :tongue_smilie:), but it would be easier to switch to any prealgebra after 7/6 than to switch into a program at the 6th grade level, since there are slight differences in scope and sequence.  If you are considering switching to MM, look at the placement tests.

Saxon. If its not broken... I'm through Algebra 1 with Saxon and starting in PreAlgebra I do every problem alongside my student. Needless to say I've had an intimate look at Saxon over the last 2 years. LOL!! I think it gets a bad rep for bein repetitive and boring. It's not at all. Subtle, yes. Thought provoking, absolutely. Challenging and spiral - yes. My only complaint is that I wish the tests had more problems. With 20 if you miss 1 or 2, its a bummer.