Menu

Community college foreign language classes?

Does anyone have experience they could share with me? I am specifically wondering whether a community college beginner class that meets once a week for 2.5 hours would be better for an advanced beginner/intermediate level child than a FIAF type class that is perhaps closer to his level but meets for 1.5 hrs weekly. The latter also has a much longer commute...

A question to consider is what you want to achieve with studying Spanish. If you just want to do it for the credit, then whatever is easier. If you want it for mastery of the language, then you probably need to find out from students who have taken both how rigorous each is and how well they learned to speak Spanish. If you are thinking about getting college credit - then sometimes community colleges are a good choice BUT you need to check if the colleges your child might choose to apply to will take your community college's credits. Many 4 year colleges don't take community college credits. 

Community colleges are all so different it is hard to give a generic answer. Our local one is OK in some departments and awful in others. And withing departments some lecturers are great and others not so much. Our local homeschool yahoo group constantly share which lecturers to choose and which classes are good to take. So some inside info is necessary to make a good decision.

Thanks. We are studying French. I want the class that is the most rigorous in terms of becoming proficient in the language. I could care less about college credit because he is 10 and also he will be going to school for high school anyway. We have long commutes wherever we go so I want the class to be worth the time and effort.

What is his background in French?   The pace/output of a college level foreign lang class is going to be pretty intense for a 10 yr old unless they have an excellent background in French.   What French programs has he already completed?  (or is it that he is a native speaker?)

Here is the textbook our local CC uses.   http://www.amazon.com/Contacts-culture-fran%C3%A7aises-Jean-Paul-Valette/dp/1133309585/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402065630&sr=8-3&keywords=jean+paul+valette  If you sign into Amazon, you can see sample pages throughout the text.   The entire book is covered between French 1 and French 2.

You have probably already done this, but you do need to check age requirements for community college classes. Some have minimums. In our area, one must be a high school junior or equivalent to attend.

Ours is 16 yo.

Thanks all. He would have completed Galore Park SYRWLF 1 and also an immersion program in France.

I did not think local cc classes were possible until I heard of a local 13 yr old who completed an AB at one and enrolled full time in college at that age. Before I heard this I was resigned to driving to the city for a FIAF class.

Ours are stricter than the local universities in regards to age. They are also going to require a minimum ACT or Compass score before even discussing enrollment.

Of course, they're about 1/3 as expensive as the uni....

Thanks all. He would have completed Galore Park SYRWLF 1 and also an immersion program in France.

I did not think local cc classes were possible until I heard of a local 13 yr old who completed an AB at one and enrolled full time in college at that age. Before I heard this I was resigned to driving to the city for a FIAF class.

That is a very basic French book geared toward middle school age kids.    I know my kids could not make the leap to a college level class.   We lived in Brazil and I had a 10 yr old who was completely fluent in Portuguese. (people had no idea he was an American until he spoke to us in English and then would comment how good his English was. ;) )

Even so, he couldn't have jumped into a Portuguese college level class bc he couldn't have written the equivalent to what he was speaking.   Using the rules in conversation is vastly different from writing conjugations correctly, etc.

I don't know what an AB is or a FIAF is, so I am missing that part of the conversation.  

FWIW, I would expect any student that is enrolled full-time probably had to pass the admission criteria of the institution.   Have you looked to see what they are?

I did not think local cc classes were possible until I heard of a local 13 yr old who completed an AB at one and enrolled full time in college at that age. .

Is AB the associate degree community college confer? I'll call and check though because the minimum age for full time enrollment, dual enrollment and drop in class defers for my local community college.

For foreign languages classes at community college, I'll be wary about the conversational portion of class. It can easily go into adult territory conversation when doing roleplay. For example, my hubby was listening to a german lesson in the car and the first lesson on the CD was on how to get a date.

Is AB the associate degree community college confer? I'll call and check though because the minimum age for full time enrollment, dual enrollment and drop in class defers for my local community college.

For foreign languages classes at community college, I'll be wary about the conversational portion of class. It can easily go into adult territory conversation when doing roleplay. For example, my hubby was listening to a german lesson in the car and the first lesson on the CD was on how to get a date.

Yes, and I am not the least interested in that, I just mentioned that piece of info because I also thought the age was an issue but perhaps if a 13 yr old is graduating, maybe my DS could take one class? Will explore.

Good point on conversations; that had not occurred to me.

We're only interested in the language classes. Thanks so much for your post

He will still have be admitted. The criteria is typically different for non-fulltime, but you cannot just walk onto a campus and register for a class. It is why I have asked if you have looked into admission criteria.

Our local CC restricts enrollment to high school jrs and srs. Students are only allowed to dual enroll if they place beyond remedial level on the Compass test or for any humanities type classes they offer this alternative for admission: "A student who provides official evidence of a minimum score of 500 on both the critical reading and writing sections of the SAT, or a minimum score of 21 on both the English Test and Reading TEST of the ACT, taken within the last two (2) years, is exempt from taking the English placement test."

I think everyone is simply suggesting that you should verify if it is even a possibility. You can't typically walk onto a campus and simply enroll in a class. If they require placement testing, could he pass beyond remedial level? (I think there are practice Compass tests available online.)

Fwiw, people can get waivers, but they are usually exceptional cases. We were able to get the local university to give our ds a waiver bc they only allow DE for srs, but since we could prove he was beyond the level of courses offered at a CC they admitted him. I would assume the 13 yr old had compelling evidence to allow them to admit him if there are age restrictions.

Update: I confirmed the very local community college has and would take homeschoolers as young as 8 (!!!). They will not permit matriculation however (just attending classes).

That CC does not offer French, sadly. 

I've contacted the CC French instructor in the next county over (which CC does offer French) and hoping I can arrange for tutoring. What a relief. The rural lifestyle has its advantages. Ample opportunities for foreign language is not one of them.

Thanks all.