Menu

Sonlight vs. Ambleside Online

Has anyone used either one or both.  I am deciding what I want to do for American History next year. I already own the Sonlight but I am wondering if the Ambleside Online would be more engaging or interesting.  I am also wondering which would have more depth.  

opinions, thoughts, experiences...

I haven't used Ambleside online except for an occasional book list, but we have used SL cores Pre-K through E.   I assume that you are talking about using SL Core D for your DD who will be 10?    

We absolutely loved Cores D and E here.   My kids were 10 & 8 when we did D, and 11 & 9 for E.   We did add some books to D from the Guest Hollow American history book list, but really didn't add anything to E.   Since you already own SL, I would plan to use it and add to it from Ambleside or another book list when you want or need additional content.   Since it looks like you have already used SL, I would encourage you to use the IG in a flexible way to work for YOU - if something interests you or your DD, take rabbit trails and follow your interests.

Many people don't care for the Incans, Aztecs, and Mayans book as well as Walk the World's Rim, which are at the very beginning of Core D, so I'd pre-read them yourself, and if you decide to skip them, fill in additional content on other topics.

Sonlight has more modern books. Read the whole Breaking Stalin's Nose thread, if you think modern is automatically better, though. We talked about that book much the way we discuss vintage books. People haven't changed. Author's have the same HEARTS they did 100 years ago, even if their words and prejudices are a bit different.

That said, there are AO books I only read aloud, so I can edit them.

The AO forum is free and there are a lot of people there that are international and lower-income. I can't afford the Sonlight forum, so don't know who is there. :) But I'm assuming it's a more exclusive group.

AO really pushes getting the children OUTSIDE. The core of the program isn't the books, even though the books are what they are known for. Being at the forum gradually makes you a better teacher, often with nonbook ideas.

I think the AO books are more spread out than the sonlight schedules? When they are so spread out, I appreciate the free public domain eBooks, so I don't have to worry about renewing library books.

I looked at Sonlight this year, and didn't think it better than AO, all in all. And it looks a lot more expensive and unwieldy and exclusive.

AO runs two history streams simultaneously, so whatever year you did would have some American history and some world history, but not as much of either as you'd get with Sonlight.  AO definitely schedules fewer books, read slowly, as that is part of the CM methodology. I prefer that, and we're planning to use AO next year, but I thought I'd point out those differences. 

We have used both. Sonlight Core D+E is one of our favorite years. We tried AO and, while we enjoyed parts of it, some of the books were too out of date and dry for our liking-and this is coming from someone who enjoys the classics. My children were much more engaged when we used SL.

You may want to look at Charlotte Mason Help; she has mildly reworked AO and included some more modern works. ***  Charlottemasonhelp.com ***

My two oldest did her Year 5 this past year ( slightly modified to fit our family, I did add in more of SL's Eastern Hemisphere choices), and it was a great year for them. 

I've used and enjoyed SL in different ways for different children in different years; I'm learning to appreciate the fewer books at a slower pace that AO schedules.  My children do more, and with a better attitude, when I schedule in less.  We need more breathing room than the SL schedule provides to digest what we read.  Ironically enough, my kids read more *for fun, on their own* when I have fewer books on their schedule.  This also gives me more room to read aloud more books OF MY CHOOSING :coolgleamA:, rather than feeling tied to anyone else's time period or list.  SL has become a booklist I enjoy drawing from, rather than my roadmap.  It's not a bad roadmap, we just prefer a Sunday afternoon drive, rather than a shot down the freeway.  It's taken me years of slashing schedules to finally realize this and work with it. 

AO has also been nicer to my bank account as well.

My two oldest boys did Core E (including Science E), mostly as written, and they did enjoy it, especially the Landmark book.   One of my younger children was going through some difficult health issues that year, and it essential that my older ones could do the SL part of their day, without too much input required of me. 

Has anyone used either one or both.  I am deciding what I want to do for American History next year. I already own the Sonlight but I am wondering if the Ambleside Online would be more engaging or interesting.  I am also wondering which would have more depth.  

opinions, thoughts, experiences...

I've used both. My children and I, both, find SL to be much more engaging and interesting overall. I think either can have as much or as little depth as you'd prefer as various topics/people/events come up. 

Thanks everyone!  I think I will stick with Sonlight/Bookshark.  I don't really want the slower pace I would actually speed it up for us.  It was more of a booklist question.  She loves the Sonlight books and I don't want her to dread reading.  We have been drawn more to the older history & Science books that AO uses so before we dive into American History I wanted to make sure I had the most interesting spine as jumping point.  I think I will slowly read Pilgrims Progress with her, add in a Shakespeare play and add in a few of the other classics from the AO lists.  We already do Music & Art Appreciation & Nature Study.  

I think it depends on what kind of reading you prefer. We used Core E this year and while we enjoyed it a lot, we will be back using AO again next year. SL had a lot of historical fiction. And my boys "liked" all of the books. But I tried to squeeze in some the AO free reads and those ended up being the books that they "loved" (secret garden, Anne of green gables, cricket in Times Square were a few). There is also quite a big difference in reading levels-at least for the core we used. I felt like the reading books were too easy for my 6th grader...some were for my 4th grader as well. The history books were good though. I agree that we have found some AO books that are dry or too challenging, but for the most part we have been very happy. One thing to keep in mind with the pacing: it is slower but that allows you to go more in depth and is suppose to help with retention. They are both excellent, so enjoy!

I refuse to discuss this situation any further than what I am posting, but I just wanted to say I was put on moderation at the AO forum, and can no longer post except for those posts that are approved.

I am not complaining! I just want to warn people that would ONLY use AO, if they knew they could post freely at the AO forum, in the manner they do here, that that might not be possible. AO itself is free, but the resources people need to purchase are NOT, and some people would not know how to use those resources without being able to post freely at the forum. Spending an entire year's budget on AO books and then not being able to post without moderation could be very upsetting to some people, so I just want people to know that is a possibility.

I do not beleive in discussing one forum at another forum. I think it's in bad taste. But this thread is about choosing a curriculum for maybe 13 years and it's a huge decision and people want to know as much as possible before investing their time and money. I have nothing but respect for the AO advisory and I truly mean that. The service they provide to the homeschooling community is unparalleled.

I plan to continue using AO at least for now. But as a newer homeschooler I might not have choosen to do that. There are other places online, including here, that people can ask for help using AO. AO can be used as a curriculum, like any other curriculum without the AO forum. But it really is so much more than the booklists, and it takes quite a bit of teacher training to use it as intended.

Please, no one bash AO, in an attempt to make me feel supported. I want nothing but good for AO, so they can continue doing the good that they are doing. Any distractions for them mean they have less resources to devote to doing good. We as a community lose if they are distracted.

I refuse to discuss this situation any further than what I am posting, but I just wanted to say I was put on moderation at the AO forum, and can no longer post except for those posts that are approved.

I am not complaining! I just want to warn people that would ONLY use AO, if they knew they could post freely at the AO forum, in the manner they do here, that that might not be possible. AO itself is free, but the resources people need to purchase are NOT, and some people would not know how to use those resources without being able to post freely at the forum. Spending an entire year's budget on AO books and then not being able to post without moderation could be very upsetting to some people, so I just want people to know that is a possibility.

I do not beleive in discussing one forum at another forum. I think it's in bad taste. But this thread is about choosing a curriculum for maybe 13 years and it's a huge decision and people want to know as much as possible before investing their time and money. I have nothing but respect for the AO advisory and I truly mean that. The service they provide to the homeschooling community is unparalleled.

I plan to continue using AO at least for now. But as a newer homeschooler I might not have choosen to do that. There are other places online, including here, that people can ask for help using AO. AO can be used as a curriculum, like any other curriculum without the AO forum. But it really is so much more than the booklists, and it takes quite a bit of teacher training to use it as intended.

Please, no one bash AO, in an attempt to make me feel supported. I want nothing but good for AO, so they can continue doing the good that they are doing. Any distractions for them mean they have less resources to devote to doing good. We as a community lose if they are distracted.

Hunter,

I only wanted to let you know that your post ^ was honest, respectful, polite,  and very well written.  No moderation required. :coolgleamA: 

Hunter,

I only wanted to let you know that your post ^ was honest, respectful, polite,  and very well written.  No moderation required. :coolgleamA:

I just really hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings or make them mad with this post. I am socially awkward and when people don't know me they can badly misunderstand what I mean and what my heart is. I've repeatedly had friends jump in front to of me, to shield me while yelling, "She did NOT mean what is sounds like she just said! I don't know what she WAS trying to say, but it was something other than what it sounds like."

Being human is messy and it hurts. We hurt ourselves. We hurt others. We are hurt by others. I really don't understand any of it. I can quote mutiple holy books but I don't believe one more than the other, and none of them explain this mess that I see. Maybe an alien race should come and wipe us out for being so nasty and a blight on the universe, like in all those science fiction movies and books.

I spent some time comparing programs again today and there is nothing I want to use more than AO right now. Every curriculum has it's strengths and weaknesses. As a WHOLE, if you are looking for a WHOLE, AO is as good as any more expensive program I have ever seen. And I have seen and used a LOT of programs. A couple weeks back, I said I couldn't think of one post-Y2K program that I liked better than any of the pre-Y2K curricula. I have to take that back. I think AO is vastly superior to many of the better pre-Y2K programs. As a WHOLE. And it's the whole that really counts in the long term.

Life doesn't revolve around me. I don't want it to. That would be a scary burden :) I just want people to have as many facts as possible before spending precious resources. That's all. And I just want everyone to be happy. Even when I'm being socially awkward and it sounds the opposite.

• 2 weeks later...

Hunter, thank you very much! I am coming to love your posts! I am in love with daily schedules and I sat there trying to figure out how to turn ambleside into that. I already own many of the books, I definitely need more. I am curious about their chat board. I am going to need to check that out. I also need to check out the faq page. I have many questions about it but I would have to take some time to see if I can figure them out before I ask.

I wish I could find exact postings in the faqs and such, that are written by AO themselves, but AO is unabashedly Christian, and they say something like non-Christians are welcome, but you are not allowed to ask about tweaking the curriculum to make it secular at the forum. And Mormon Christians are not allowed to ask certain things, and they have a set response to Mormons that is posted occasionally that states their rules. Certain things are not allowed to be discussed at the forum. It is a forum FOR Christians of their definition of Christian.

The forum is a treasure trove of information. To not be able to view the posts would make it harder to teach the curriculum. If anyone is using AO it behooves them to tread carefully and not lose viewing privileges, even more than posting privileges.

I'm trying very hard to just say what they say and offer no opinions or judgement either way. AO has done the homeschooling community a huge service. Some people are not allowed to post about their own lives, ask questions that are important to them, or interact freely with other members, if they come from different backgrounds than what the forum was designed for.

So the only advice/opinion I would offer, is DO sign up for the forum, but be slow to post until you get a feel for things.

The first time I was homeless, I was homeless for 9 months and I wasn't sure if it was going to be even longer. I scoped out the city I was in, and figured out which services were available where. I only went to each building to access the services that they provided best, and then left right away. I kept my mouth shut, and barely socialized with anyone there, and NEVER socialized with any of the people at those places outside of those places. When dealing with staff, I kept my eyes down and only responded when spoken to. If I needed a service, I made sure I wasn't going to lose it because someone didn't like me, or something I said. The staff at one place nicknamed me "the ghost" because I was so frequently there, but almost invisible.

I really messed up with AO. I need them too much, to have been silly enough to socialize there. I should have known better. Somewhere along the way, I stopped moving in victim mode and let down my guard. And I paid for that. Life doesn't allow us to redo, unfortunately.

When someone provides a service you need, and that you cannot afford to lose, it's best to play by their rules and be a ghost or a suck up. I'm WAY too socially awkward to be a suck-up. :lol: When I try to be one, I'm at my most obnoxious and awkward. The harder I try, the worse I fail.

I have a social worker who is growing increasingly frustrated as I revert more and more back into victim mode. She can't give me a single logical reason not to, though. Her version of recovery isn't safe, though, in my opinion, and I can't afford the consequences and losses involved in pretending to be well and safe, when I'm not.

I don't try and turn the AO reading list into a daily schedule, but that is just me. Some of the readings are longer or shorter than I expect. I just chip away at a week at time. I do weekly schedule other subjects, but the reading list is just scheduled as reading list.