Menu

Math suggestions?

DS is really good at math, but we're having some trouble settling on a curriculum.  He used TT for years and did really well, until he got bored with it last year.  We tried Dolciani and AoPS, both of which he hated.  So now he's doing Saxon and Life of Fred.  Saxon started off well, but now he's getting impatient because of the sheer number of problems (he feels like it takes forever to get through a lesson).  He still likes Fred, but that doesn't have enough practice and review for me.  I consider Saxon our core and Fred as "fun math."  My plan was to just keep going with Fred's Pre-Algebra books and Saxon 8/7 with Pre-Algebra for 6th, but I really, really, REALLY don't want him to start hating math.  He is so good at it and it gives him such confidence to know that he's "ahead" in math.  So what should I do?  Any pre-algebra curriculum suggestions for us?

UPDATE:

Well, we've gotten it figured out.  DS LOVES math, and even though he gets impatient with Saxon, he understands the need for it as our math spine.  So, we've settled on Saxon, the Key to... series, Math Reasoning, and Murderous Maths (he likes reading these).  LOF will be dropped.  Thanks for the help, y'all!

This is equal parts suggestion and genuine question: Can you do 1/2 the Saxon problems orally, and 1/2 written? It will speed up the process and give him a chance to get better at mental math.

Hmmm...  I don't know.  I've already been struggling with getting him to show his work.  He just kind of "gets" math.  He can look at a problem and just know the answer, though a lot of times, he doesn't know how he knows it, he just does.  It's really very strange.  But then when he misses something, he demands, "How is that wrong??"  And I have to tell him, "I don't know how you missed it.  You didn't show me your work."  Anyway, wandering a bit off topic there, but I'm afraid that letting him do problems orally will just undermine the whole thing about showing his work.  I do let him just write the answer if he can do it in his head, but then if he misses it, he has to show me the work on his correction.

For algebra and up, there are supplemental Fred booklets with extra practice problems. I think they are called Zillions of Practice Problems. But it sounds like the main issue is that he doesn't want to do a lot of practice problems and you do want him to do a lot of practice problems. If you sat down with him in a Math Conference and said that and, "I'm going to win because I'm the parent, but how can we sweeten that for you?" he might say . . . "offer me math amnesty for ten problems of my choice on each page . . . pay me a penny for any problem over ten that I do . . . let me do all drill via a computer game . . . ", right? 

For algebra and up, there are supplemental Fred booklets with extra practice problems. I think they are called Zillions of Practice Problems. But it sounds like the main issue is that he doesn't want to do a lot of practice problems and you do want him to do a lot of practice problems. If you sat down with him in a Math Conference and said that and, "I'm going to win because I'm the parent, but how can we sweeten that for you?" he might say . . . "offer me math amnesty for ten problems of my choice on each page . . . pay me a penny for any problem over ten that I do . . . let me do all drill via a computer game . . . ", right? 

LOL...  That's not actually what I'm after, though.  I'm looking for a happy medium between the 10 problems or less in Fred and the 30+ problems in Saxon.  But actually, when I tried to discuss it with him, he said, "I'm good with whatever you pick."  :lol:

LOL...  That's not actually what I'm after, though.  I'm looking for a happy medium between the 10 problems or less in Fred and the 30+ problems in Saxon.  But actually, when I tried to discuss it with him, he said, "I'm good with whatever you pick."  :lol:

Awww, what a good boy. I think I would skip pre-algebra and start doing LOF Algebra with a small number of problems assigned from the extra practice books.

Awww, what a good boy. I think I would skip pre-algebra and start doing LOF Algebra with a small number of problems assigned from the extra practice books.

How do I know if we can skip pre-algebra?  Right now, he's working on Saxon 7/6 and working through Fred Decimals and Percents.  Does that give him enough foundation to go on to Algebra?

How do I know if we can skip pre-algebra?  Right now, he's working on Saxon 7/6 and working through Fred Decimals and Percents.  Does that give him enough foundation to go on to Algebra?

Good question.  One thing you could do is give him a placement test.  Here are a few:

Saxon Algebra 1 placement test

http://www.sonlight.com/uploads/saxon_a1_placement.pdf

These are the placement tests for Singapore Math.  If a child scores over 80% then they are able to move on to the next level.  The sixth grade curriculum is broken into two books.  The next level after sixth grade is an integrated math that includes algebra, geometry, etc.

Singapore Primary Math 6A (U.S. Ed.)

Singapore Primary Math 6B (U.S. Ed.)

Calvert Algebra Placement Test (pdf with no answers)

http://homeschool.calverteducation.com/placement/HS04AlgebraPlacementTest.pdf

These are K12 placement tests.  Answers included.

Pre-Algebra A Semester 1 Assessment 13 (505 KB) Semester 2 Assessment 14 (549 KB) Pre-Algebra B Semester 1 Assessment 15 (124 KB) Semester 2 Assessment 16 (659 KB)

Math-U-See Placement tests. Answers included.

Pre-Algebra Placement Test

Algebra 1 Placement Test

Thinkwell Placement test:

Test 4

Algebra 1 Placement Test Answer Key 5 or less

6 or 7

8 or more complete Test 3

8th Grade Math

Algebra 1

I don't think a Life of Fred placement test exists.

Regards,

Kareni

Good question.  One thing you could do is give him a placement test.  Here are a few:

Saxon Algebra 1 placement test

http://www.sonlight.com/uploads/saxon_a1_placement.pdf

These are the placement tests for Singapore Math.  If a child scores over 80% then they are able to move on to the next level.  The sixth grade curriculum is broken into two books.  The next level after sixth grade is an integrated math that includes algebra, geometry, etc.

Singapore Primary Math 6A (U.S. Ed.)

Singapore Primary Math 6B (U.S. Ed.)

Calvert Algebra Placement Test (pdf with no answers)

http://homeschool.calverteducation.com/placement/HS04AlgebraPlacementTest.pdf

These are K12 placement tests.  Answers included.

Pre-Algebra A Semester 1 Assessment 13 (505 KB) Semester 2 Assessment 14 (549 KB) Pre-Algebra B Semester 1 Assessment 15 (124 KB) Semester 2 Assessment 16 (659 KB)

Math-U-See Placement tests. Answers included.

Pre-Algebra Placement Test

Algebra 1 Placement Test

Thinkwell Placement test:

Test 4

Algebra 1 Placement Test Answer Key 5 or less

6 or 7

8 or more complete Test 3

8th Grade Math

Algebra 1

I don't think a Life of Fred placement test exists.

Regards,

Kareni

Wow!  Thank you so much for this!  Looks like I have some research to do. :D

UPDATE:

Well, we've gotten it figured out.  DS LOVES math, and even though he gets impatient with Saxon, he understands the need for it as our math spine.  So, we've settled on Saxon, the Key to... series, Math Reasoning, and Murderous Maths (he likes reading these).  LOF will be dropped.  Thanks for the help, y'all!