Menu

Justina Pelletier may be going home!

Kathryn

Guest submarines

Oh that's good news... I sincerely hope this is all over soon for their family!!

And that their settlement allows them and to live comfortably with the best medical care they afford, for years, and years, and years.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/30/teen-bitter-mass-custody-battle-may-be-heading-hom/

Apparently, she's already back under the care of her Tufts doctors and in a Connecticut facility and MA authorities said they won't contest her return to her parents.

translation: they won't admit they were wrong about her diagnosis.

What a nightmare.  I hope, that somehow, they are able to win a lawsuit against MA and the hospital so that no more families have to go through this.

nice thought - but I doubt it would protect more families from the same fate.

Guest submarines

Unfortunately her release to parents probably means that her condition has deteriorated even more. Sigh. I hope she pulls through.

nice thought - but I doubt it would protect more families from the same fate.

I am guessing that the lawsuit is a long shot. Most states have statutes granting immunity to CPS workers, judges, etc. Since the docs were mandatory reporters and since CPS accepted the case and sided with them, I doubt if a lawsuit will get anywhere. The hospital has already gotten loads of negative publicity which I would guess has impacted the bottom line. I know I wouldn't want to take my kids there if there was any other choice.

The lasting solution is for the MA legislature to amend their laws to define medical neglect so that it cannot be substantiated when there is a dispute between accredited medical professionals. CPS does not get to decide when doctors disagree. CPS gets to step in when a child is at risk because a parent won't seek or cooperate with undisputed, needed medical care.

It sounds like, from this article and others, that the parents have decided to cooperate with the plan the social workers set up for them and that's why this is moving forward. While I think that the case is absolutely horrific, I also think they made it worse by taking an all or nothing approach, ie  initially refusing placement in CT, etc. When they have their kid back and she's flourishing, that's the time to go all out. While CPS has your kid, they have the power. As someone said, "If they tell you to wear pink, you wear pink." I think the parents have wisely bent to that reality at this point. I'm sure we will hear more once their child is back or she turns 18.