Menu

End of year tests

rebereid

I live in a state that does not require any type of assessments (Illinois). I am finishing first grade with my son and I feel very good about our year. My husband wondered if I was going to do any kind of end-of-year assessment to make sure he's finished what he "needs." Now, as I said, I feel good about the year. But I have not been doing tests at all and I'm not sure how to go about this. Does anyone do any type of tests? What could I do for this? I guess I'd have to make up my own based on what we've learned? I am just a bit overwhelmed at the thought. 

I am sure my husband is just suggesting so it's not required, I just wonder what others do. 

Thanks for your feedback.

Rebecca

I live in IL as well.

In 1st grade? I wouldn't worry about tests. ts. A good rule of thumb is to set some goals at the beginning of the year. Things that are important to you, as well as a few standard goals. And then if your child is meeting them, it's okay to feel good about your year.

We're coming near the end of our 1st grade year, although we do still continue lightly into the summer.

IMHO there's just a few things to ask yourself about a 1st grader:

How are they reading?

How is their handwriting? How is their spelling?

How well are they understanding the math concepts?

And, are they curious and interested in what they are learning?

I don't feel 1st graders need assessments on history or science. That stuff repeats again and again and again. 

When you are homeschooling an older child, there may be informal tests and assessments built into your programs.

If your 1st grader is doing well in Miquon Blue (which I wouldn't necessarily start until 2nd grade) you're doing fine there.

Thanks for the feedback. That is kind of what I was thinking. As for the MIQUON Blue, my son was very excited when he finished the other book and did not want to stop...he even informed me yesterday that we will not stop math for the summer because he likes it too much. lol

So yes, I think he's doing okay in that :)

I won't worry about assessments then. His handwriting is fine, and he definitely loves learning!

I am not sure I would give a "test" out of the blue to a 1st grader who isn't used to them, know what I mean?  I know when we first started my husband was similar, wanting to see "tests" or quantifiable results to show the kids had learned something. 

A few ideas to satisfy your husband:

-have your husband casually (like over dinner, not as if it was an inquisition) ask your son about what he has learned this year in a particular topic.  What was your favorite history topic, science topic, what state he would most like to visit based on geography he learned, etc.  Discuss something with your son that he was interested in.  Once my husband saw that the kids could tell him things about history (from SOTW) that he didn't even know/remember, he was satisfied they had learned something, LOL.

-realize that if you got through the curriculum listed in your signature, your son did indeed learn what he was supposed to.  Can your son do the last lesson in his math book?  If so, he has learned the curriculum.  Same thing with reading.  Was the last book he read geared to 1st grade at a minimum?  If so, there is your assessment.  Same for spelling.

-for about $25, you can get the California Achievement Test through Seton and proctor it at home.  It is (in my opinion) a "minimum basic skills" type assessment for math and language.  While I'm not sure it would tell you anything you don't already know, seeing results in black and white from a testing company could go a long way in making your husband more comfortable.

Good luck!  I hope that helps a bit.  Trust me, my husband was the same way and after the first year realized the kids were learning much more at home than they ever would at school.

I agree with Walking Iris. I wouldn't bother testing a first grader. Set goals and see if you meet them. It's just the basics you need in first grade. My middle son just finished first grade. I'm testing his older brother who just finished 4th, but not the first grader. He is reading as well as he can right now, writing is coming along, and math is ahead. I have goals set for next year to help deal with known weaknesses (he is behind average in reading and writing). It's obvious where he is, and testing him would be pointless for me.

I'm testing my 4th grader for the first time, mainly to give him the experience and give us a baseline. So far, he hasn't really surprised me (we've only given a few sections of the test, but I look over his answers after each session and make note of the type of things he has problems with). For example, his vocabulary was perfect, but his phonics skills are a bit weak. That is no surprise because he has not been through a full phonics course. I had already planned to remedy that next school year. I'm curious how he'll do in spelling, but I suspect he'll do better than he would if they made him actually spell words. When writing, he has trouble spelling, but when reviewing his own work, he can easily spot misspelled words and correct them. So the multiple choice spelling test may go ok, showing that he has good visual memory, despite not always knowing how to spell. This is where I as a teacher know more than the test is able to tell me. ;)

But in first grade? No, I wouldn't test if not required to. Many states that do require testing don't start that requirement until 3rd grade. I would recommend waiting until at least then.

If you REALLY want some measure of achievement, you could do the DORA/ADAM. HSBC usually has them fairly cheap, and they probably give a better assessment than the regular standardized tests that schools use.

I gave my son the ITBS at the end of 1st grade.  Most of it is read aloud to the child and my son actually enjoyed it.  I've found over the years that normally standardized tests don't tell me anything I don't already know, but occasionally the results will point to something that needs attention.

You could give my quick screen reading grade level test and the Ayers spelling test for LA, both are free and it won't take too long.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellingtests.html

For math, placement tests for the program you are using could be used as an end of year test, or you could use the ADAM K7. It is $20 but also linked to free Kahn remediation, so a fairly good deal for the $.

http://www.letsgolearn.com/lglsite/ADAM_math/parents/

We did the DORA and the ADAM K-7 testing for our kids that are finishing up 5th grade and kindergarten. It wasn't necessary of course, but I do like how the tests give you specific links and ways to help in the areas they might be struggling in, and also they aren't *just* being tested on their grade level. The questions are adjusted as they progress through the testing for what they actually know.

For my kindergartener, it was just a fun online game (not a "test") and it did show me some specific things she is having some issues with in reading comprehension and reading and how to help her. It was worth it for us. We will probably do it every year just for our records, and to have a hard copy of the progression etc. I don't think it's necessary AT ALL though. It's mainly just a preference. My husband couldn't have cared less about testing them, but does like the idea when we discussed it for this particular test.

I gave my son the ITBS at the end of 1st grade.  Most of it is read aloud to the child and my son actually enjoyed it.  I've found over the years that normally standardized tests don't tell me anything I don't already know, but occasionally the results will point to something that needs attention.

Oh my gosh, yes, my kids love testing time.  Maybe mostly because I make a special breakfast and they get yummy snacks, lol.  Actually my kids really enjoy the challenge too and making new friends and seeing/playing with their old ones every other year when they do group testing.