Menu

What is the youngest age you would recommend for starting Galore Park's Latin Prep?

Annie Laurie

My oldest ds is an older beginner and we're using Latin Prep I and II this year. We absolutely love it, it's been fun and easy to understand so far.

I'm trying to plan for my younger three and would like to start Latin earlier with them. I had thought we'd use Latin for Children when my 7 yr old is in 4th grade and my 6 yr old is in 3rd grade and combine them, but the thread about mistakes in LfC is concerning me- I need a lot of hand holding, accuracy and clear explanations. I would really like to use Latin Prep with them, but from what I have read here, I think 3rd and 4th grade would be too young, correct?

What age could I start them on it, and what could I use beforehand? Or is anything necessary beforehand?

TIA!

You certainly don't *need* to do anything before Latin Prep. But without any Latin background, I'd wait and start around age 10 or 11 as a minimum. I had students as young as new-8s in my Latin Prep class last year, and they did quite well -- but both of them were very strong academically and had had some previous Latin exposure. I wouldn't put a typical 8 or 9 yo into Latin Prep without a background already...

If you want a light, fun introduction, Minimus is pretty good and could easily be used for 1-2 years before starting Latin Prep. I introduce more Latin grammar to my Minimus students than is made explicit in the book, but either way, it's a nice intro.

You certainly don't *need* to do anything before Latin Prep. But without any Latin background, I'd wait and start around age 10 or 11 as a minimum. I had students as young as new-8s in my Latin Prep class last year, and they did quite well -- but both of them were very strong academically and had had some previous Latin exposure. I wouldn't put a typical 8 or 9 yo into Latin Prep without a background already...
I have an advanced 6yo, who will be done Lively Latin 2 by early 2009, but I'm still going to wait until 8 to start her in Latin Prep... though I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I am going to do with her in the intervening year or so.

You might also want to look into Lively Latin. It's a gentle yet systematic preparation for more rigorous study. Since it is designed for younger students, lessons and exercises are shorter.

The first chapter of Latin Prep 1 is somewhat deceiving because the text quickly becomes more rigorous. GP considers it suitable for Years 5/6, which is equivalent to Grades 4/5 ~ or the 10-11 age range, as Abbey said.

We'll be starting LP1 next year for 4th. Dd will be 9. But we did Minimus last year for 2nd and are doing Secundus this year for 3rd. I'm also planning on only doing half of LP1 in 4th and the other half the following year in 5th. I have the workbooks for it and we will be using those as well.