Menu

My adult daughter is offering Skype tutoring in Japanese & English/writing

jenn&charles

I wasn't sure which board to post this on, so I'm just sticking it here. ;-)

My daughter is a homeschool grad who currently teaches Japanese and Korean students and has experience teaching & tutoring all ages in a variety of subjects.

She's offering customized Skype or email classes, guidance & tutoring over the summer and also next fall semester. Here's a link to her site that gives more info:

http://hannahstutoringservices.wordpress.com/

Thanks for looking! 

very nice.   I looked through it and she doesn't say what ages/grades she  teaches.

I just sent her an email and told her to add this, lol...

Basically she can work with almost any age from elementary grades through adult. I think her personal preference is for older students like jr. high and up.

I'm kind of the opposite! I like working with little ones. ;-)

Hi,

What is a N5 qualification in Japanese?  We may need a Japanese tutor in the future as well.

Last year she took the JLPT N5 test (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) and passed with an A in every section. Proficiency in level 5 means this:

Basic Level: The ability to understand some basic Japanese.

Reading

One is able to read and understand typical expressions and sentences written in hiragana, katakana, and basic kanji.

Listening

One is able to listen and comprehend conversations about topics regularly encountered in daily life and classroom situations, and is able to pick up necessary information from short conversations

This year she will be taking the N3. Proficiency in that level means:

Reading

One is able to read and understand written materials with specific contents concerning everyday topics. One is also able to grasp summary information such as newspaper headlines. In addition, one is also able to read slightly difficult writings encountered in everyday situations and understand the main points of the content if some alternative phrases are available to aid one’s understanding.

Listening

One is able to listen and comprehend coherent conversations in everyday situations, spoken at near-natural speed, and is generally able to follow their contents as well as grasp the relationships among the people involved.

After passing the N3, which I am confident she will, she will qualify to take University level classes in Japan.

Even though she has only taken the N5, she is probably at the N3 level right now as far as conversation ability and some of the more difficult grammar. I believe the only reason why she is not at a higher level is because she has to learn all of the kanji for the higher levels of the test. She can currently read about 400 Kanji. She can actually speak and understand at a much higher level (which I just confirmed with her before posting this) because she's immersed in it every day (true immersion with native speakers).

She works for Y.E.S. ESL International. You can see her class offering(s) page here:

http://www.yesatmerced.com/2014/05/19/%E7%84%A1%E6%96%99toefl%E8%AC%9B%E5%BA%A7/

Since she works for Y.E.S. and because her close friends & co-workers (and many of her students!) are native Japanese speakers, she speaks, reads and writes Japanese on a daily basis. She also translates documents for work from Japanese to English because she's the only native English speaker that works for the company. Because of this and because of her proficiency in Japanese, even the company president has asked her to check his writing. She probably spends 4 hours a day studying Japanese, has been to Japan to teach and will be returning there temporarily this October to teach a workshop to Japanese high school students. She was previously at the Osaka University of Economics & Law in Japan as an intern. Also, a Japanese student (ESL) is moving in as a roommate so she will be conversing in Japanese at home too - not just work and at school!

Due to the fact that she continues to intensely study the language herself and because she works with students learning the English language, I believe she understands the unique challenges of learning a more difficult language like Japanese as well as just learning a new language altogether.

She also has an ear for the language so that when she's spoken Japanese (or Korean) native speakers believed her to be a native speaker. :-)

Hope that helps!