Menu

Is it worth it to drive around a college in the summer without a tour?

Okra

We are traveling in August and while driving through Illinois we wanted to tour a small college.  The only day we will be in town is on a Saturday when they do not offer tours or information sessions.  SIGH, if we were a few days earlier we would be able to take a campus tour, just not on Saturday.  Unfortunately, we will not be able to rearrange our schedule.

So, is it worth it to drive around or walk around and look?  Or should we save our time and drive right on down the interstate?

I would stop and look around.   There may be some students you can chat with and there is likely to be someone in admissions who could answer some questions.  It will still give your student an idea of what the campus is like and the surrounding area as well.  If there's a cafe open on campus, I'd spend some time there as well.

We are traveling in August and while driving through Illinois we wanted to tour a small college.  The only day we will be in town is on a Saturday when they do not offer tours or information sessions.  SIGH, if we were a few days earlier we would be able to take a campus tour, just not on Saturday.  Unfortunately, we will not be able to rearrange our schedule.

So, is it worth it to drive around or walk around and look?  Or should we save our time and drive right on down the interstate?

Care to share what college? Maybe one of us lives nearby and has a student who attends the school. Not an official tour, but better than nothing. 

I think it's definitely worth it. Go on their web site first; take the virtual tour if they have one, or just get some of details. While it's true that you can ask questions on a campus tour, most of the information offered is quite basic, nothing you can't find out elsewhere. Make note of any questions that do come up so you can ask them later. 

Definitely go into the student union if it's open. We did walk around one campus on a holiday weekend, and there were still quite a few students around, and the union was open and staffed. The students working there had lots of great info, and I actually liked the unofficial aspect of the whole thing. I mean, of course the tour guides are enthusiastic, they'd hardly have the job if they weren't. 

If you go on a Saturday and it's a ghost town, that gives you information to work with as well. Are you fine with that, or would you prefer a campus that remains active on weekends and holidays? If you will be on campus for weekends and some holidays, is the library open for studying? What about the computer lab or foreign language center? Is there a decent selection of food, or just the one small dining hall and a raggedy convenience store?